MHG39806 - Enclosure or Annexe to Broch - Langwell Tulloch
Enclosure or annexe possibly associated with a broch, but more likely part of a post-medieval farmstead.
Type and Period (2)
- ENCLOSURE (Post Medieval - 1560 AD? to 1900 AD?)
- FARMSTEAD? (Post Medieval - 1560 AD? to 1900 AD?)
- None recorded
Langwell Tulloch broch (see MHG1508) was visited by Headland Archaeology in 1998 in the course of a pre-afforestation survey. A large stone and turf enclosure, extending north from the outer broch enclosure was recorded in addition to the broch remains previously noted. <1>
On 2009 AP evidence this enclosure (although the northern section as recorded in <1> is not evident) appears to be associated with the remains of a long rectangular building immediately on the north side of the trackway that passes the broch. This building, apparently not seen during the 1998 survey, has been truncated by the trackway and appears to be similar in size to others in the area. Together with the enclosure it probably formed a small farmstead. <2>
The GIS spatial data was amended in 2018 according to its position as seen on the 2009 APs.
- <1> Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Colm Moloney & Louise Baker. 1998. Forestry Survey - Langwell, Berriedale, Caithness. Headland Archaeology. Digital (scanned as PDF). Area 3 Site 17 Addendum.
- <2> Image/Photograph(s)/Aerial Photograph/Vertical: Get Mapping. 2009. Getmapping aerial photography 2009. XY
|Grid reference||Centred ND 0976 2238 (78m by 109m) (Buffered by site type)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/7525 (View HES Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.