MHG39843 - Cup Marked Stone, Freswick Sands
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- CUP MARKED STONE (Undated)
- None recorded
Broch (NR) (remains of) OS 1:10,000 map, (1975)
Remains of 2nd - 3rd century broch founded on pure sand among sandhills of Freswick Bay and now pratically obscured by sand and debris.
Excavated by Sir Francis Tress Barry between 1890 and 1900, it measures 32ft 8ins diameter within wall, 11ft 6ins thick, which has a scarcement and two mural cells. The wall is generally 7ft high 'but is partly broken down on side towards land, where the original entrance probably was. Facing to NE is an entrance passage by the foot of stair, of which 14 steps still remain. It goes up to the left from middle of the entrance passage. . . Two curved walls of secondary construction divide the interior area of the broch into segments.' Finds include a cup-marked stone, which was in front of John Nicolson's house at Nybster (ND 3663) 1910. RCAHMS include a plan, presumably based on Sir Francis Tress Barry's excavation plan, but apparently inverted as compared with Anderson's description, so that entrance with stair is in SW instead of NE. This plan also shows outbuildings attached to W side of broch.
J Anderson 1901; RCAHMS 1911, visited 1910; A Young 1964.
The broch is now obscured by sand, debris and later building attached to its N side, but survives in form of several short stretches of internal and external walling, 0.3m high on N, E and S sides. Along E side of outer wall, 2 short sections of walling which may belong to outbuilding may be traced.
Resurveyed at 1:2500. The cup-marked stone is now part of an exhibition in the old schoolhouse at Nybster (ND 3682 6368).
Visited by OS (R D) 9 September 1965.
The very obscure remains of broch are generally as described by previous authorities. The 'later building' noted by previous field investigator is outbuilding illustrated by RCAHMS, whose plan is approximately 60 W of N incorrect in orientation. Recent back-filled excavation by Batey (C Batey, Durham University) has taken place here. A cup-marked stone with six or seven cups on it at Summerbank House (ND36846361) possibly that found at broch.
Visited by OS (J B) 12 July 1982.
Anderson, J, 1901, 'Notices of nine Brochs along the Caithness coast from Keiss Bay to Skirza Head, excavated by Sir Francis Tress Barry, Bart., MP., of Keiss Castle, Caithness', Proc Soc Antiq Scot Vol. 35 1900-1, p.112-48, 112, 143-4 (Text/Publication/Article). SHG1296.
RCAHMS, 1911, The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments and Constructions of Scotland. Third report and inventory of monuments and constructions in the county of Caithness, 14-15, No. 34; 187, No. 576; plan (Text/Report). SHG2664.
Young, A, 1964, 'Brochs and duns', Proc Soc Antiq Scot Vol. 95 1961-2, p.171-98, 183, No. 12 (Text/Publication/Article). SHG293.
- --- Text/Publication/Article: Anderson, J. 1901. 'Notices of nine Brochs along the Caithness coast from Keiss Bay to Skirza Head, excavated by Sir Francis Tress Barry, Bart., MP., of Keiss Castle, Caithness', Proc Soc Antiq Scot Vol. 35 1900-1, p.112-48. Proc Soc Antiq Scot. 112-48. 112, 143-4.
- --- Text/Report: RCAHMS. 1911. The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments and Constructions of Scotland. Third report and inventory of monuments and constructions in the county of Caithness. . 14-15, No. 34; 187, No. 576; plan.
- --- Text/Publication/Article: Young, A. 1964. 'Brochs and duns', Proc Soc Antiq Scot Vol. 95 1961-2, p.171-98. Proc Soc Antiq Scot. 171-98. 183, No. 12.
|Grid reference||Centred ND 3760 6761 (10m by 10m) (Buffered by site type)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/9299 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.