MHG39853 - Site of Sculptured Stone, Sibster
A sculptured stone was discovered during the removal of an Iron Age broch.
Type and Period (1)
- CARVED STONE (Undated)
- None recorded
No change to the previous field report. Visited by OS (N K B) 6 October 1981.
Broch (NR) (site of) OS 6" map, (1970)
The only indication of former existence of a broch at published site, now under pasture, is a scatter of small stones on ground surface and a slight rise in the level of the ground.
Visited by OS (N K B) 12 November 1965.
Brough (NR) (Site of) OS 6" map, Caithness, 2nd ed., (1907)
During removal of this broch 1841, a sculptured stone was found. The stone was removed by a gentleman residing at Thurso Castle.
Name Book 1872.
Note; Unpublished research by David Henry of Pinkfoot Press indicates that the symbol stone, now lost, was incorrectly claimed to have been discovered at Crosskirk broch. See MHG45521 (T.Blackie 19/12/18)
|Grid reference||Centred ND 1499 6011 (6m by 6m) (Buffered by site type)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/8548 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.