MHG39857 - Cup Marked Stone, Broch, Gills
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- CUP MARKED STONE (Undated)
- None recorded
Broch, Gills: About half a mile S of road from Mey to Canisbay church, and 100 yds E of road through township of Gills, is a low mound under cultivation, which is evidently site of a broch. It has been much quarried for stones. A rotary quern was found in it, RCAHMS 1911, visited 1910.
The site of this probable broch is at ND 3204 7238, in S margin of a field. It is a ploughed-over, grass-covered mound measuring 30m N-S by 22m transversely and 0.7m high. The mound is similar to authenticated sites of brochs.
Surveyed at 1:2500. Visited by OS (J M) 7 July 1982.
Cup marked stone from this site reported at Nybster. (Inv.No.576)
RCAHMS, 1911, The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments and Constructions of Scotland. Third report and inventory of monuments and constructions in the county of Caithness, 20, No. 53 (Text/Report). SHG2664.
|Grid reference||Centred ND 3204 7237 (10m by 10m) (Buffered by site type)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/9414 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.