MHG39962 - Barracks, Balmacara
Accommodation block associated with a Second World War anti-aircraft battery.
Type and Period (3)
- BARRACKS (Second World War - 1939 AD to 1945 AD)
- ARMY CAMP (Second World War - 1939 AD to 1945 AD)
- NISSEN HUT (Second World War - 1939 AD to 1945 AD)
- None recorded
NG82NW 41 centred 8108 2738 and 8115 2767
NG 780 300 (centre) In the springs of 1995 and 1996 a field survey was carried out on the NTS Balmacara Estate. The estate covers approximately 22.5km2 of the Lochalsh peninsula. It lies largely within the points of a triangle formed by Kyle in the SW, Plockton in the N and Balmacara in the SE. The range of topographic variation found within the estate largely reflects that found on the W coast of Scotland generally. The range of sites found during the survey reflects this topographic variation.
During two seasons of survey 109 new sites were recorded. A full report is lodged with the NMRS.
NG 8116 2766 Army camp. Barracks and latrines, WW2.
NG 8102 2740 Army camp. Barracks, bunkers and gun emplacements, WW2.
NG 8115 2739 Brick-built loading ramp, ?WW2.
Sponsors: National Trust for Scotland, Historic Scotland
M Wildgoose 1996
A heavy anti-aircraft battery is situated on both sides of a track leading W from Reraig to Balmacara to the N of the A87 public road. The battery and accommodation camps are in two areas, one to the S of the track the other to the N. That to the S consisted of two gun emplacements and at least eleven nissen huts with a further four huts immediately N of the track. The other gun emplacements were some 200m further up the slope, at the end of a specially constructed track which is still depicted on the current edition of the OS 1:10000 map (1972).
The battery is visible on an air photograph (RAF CPE/Scot/UK/288, 4012, flown 1947), some of the huts and the emplacements would appear to be semi-demolished.
Information from RCAHMS (DE) August 1997
The site has been demolished but it is possible to see the two gun emplacements and many hut bases. The battery was armed with 2 x 3 inch guns. The code was B2 and the battery was known as Balmacara. Guns could also be used in a coast defence role. <1>
|Grid reference||Centred NG 81016 27435 (137m by 148m) (Centred)|
|Geographical Area||SKYE AND LOCHALSH|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Investigations/Events (1)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/119925 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.