MHG400 - Scrabster House
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- COUNTRY HOUSE (Medieval to 19th Century - 1058 AD to 1900 AD)
(ND 0989 6989) The House of Scrabster, still standing entire and well roofed, was the Mansion House of Bishop Patrick Forbes of Caithness and his successor Bishop Andrew Wood till 1688.
D Beaton 1909; J B Craven 1886.
No evidence to support above was encountered at Scrabster House. The present house is in use as a residence; it is believed to have been built about 1850 (Information from Mrs G M B Henderson, Scrabster House) It is built in the Scottish Baronial style and shows no evidence of antiquity.
Visited by OS (W DE J) 18 April 1962.
Scrabster House is 19th century mansion of no architectural significance. It is still occupied.
Visited by OS (N K B) 11 August 1981.
After the Reformation the bishops of Caithness had a "wonderfully small house" (W Macfarlane 1906-8) at Scrabster, which was intact in 1769. (? Incorporated in, or demolished on construction of the present Scrabster House.)
T Pennant 1774; W Macfarlane 1906-8.
Pennant, T, 1774, A tour in Scotland; MDCCLXIX, 351 (Text/Publication/Volume). SHG2618.
Craven, J B (ed.), 1886, Journals of the episcopal visitations of the Right Rev. Robert Forbes M A of the dioceses of Ross and Caithness and of the dioceses of Ross and Argyll, 1762 and 1770, with a history of the episcopal church in the diocese of Ross, chiefly during the 18th c, 197-8 (Text/Publication/Volume). SHG2077.
Mitchell, Sir A and Clark, J T (eds.), 1906-8, Geographical collections relating to Scotland, Vol. 1, 172 (Text/Publication/Volume). SHG2441.
Beaton, D, 1909, Ecclesiastical history of Caithness and annals of Caithness parishes, 41 (Text/Publication/Volume). SHG1965.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Beaton, D. 1909. Ecclesiastical history of Caithness and annals of Caithness parishes. 41.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Craven, J B (ed.). 1886. Journals of the episcopal visitations of the Right Rev. Robert Forbes M A of the dioceses of Ross and Caithness and of the dioceses of Ross and Argyll, 1762 and 1770, with a history of the episcopal church in the diocese of Ross, chiefly during the 18th c. 197-8.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Mitchell, Sir A and Clark, J T (eds.). 1906-8. Geographical collections relating to Scotland. Vol. 1, 172.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Pennant, T. 1774. A tour in Scotland; MDCCLXIX. 3rd ed.. 351.
|Grid reference||Centred ND 0989 6987 (30m by 21m)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (2)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (2)
- http://data.historic-scotland.gov.uk/pls/htmldb/f?p=2200:15:0::::BUILDING:14954 (View listed building information on Historic Scotland's website (old hyperlink))
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/LB14954 (Online designation description (Historic Environment Scotland))
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.