MHG40076 - King's Stables Cottage, Culloden Moor
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- STONE (Undated)
Descheduled 23 January 2002
NH74SW 1 7333 4484
For Culloden Moor, Battlefield (centred NH 742 450), see NH74NW 17.00.
(NH 7333 4484) King's Stables (NAT)
OS 6" map, Inverness-shire, 2nd ed., (1906)
These houses are spoken of as the 'Kings Stable'.
Name Book 1871.
On the north side of the road at the lay-by at NH 7335 4480 is a granite stone inscribed 'Kings Stables. Station of English Cavalry after the Battle of Culloden' At NH 7333 4484 is a small turf-roof building believed to have been used as a billet by the English Cavalry. This building is to be restored by the National Trust next year. It is possible that the name Stable Hollow refers to where the horses were actually held.
Visited by OS (W D J) 24 April 1962; Information from Mr N MacDonald, Warden, National Trust for Scotland, Culloden.
- --- Text/Report: RCAHMS. 1979. The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland. The archaeological sites and monuments of North-east Inverness, Inverness District, Highland Region. . 30, No. 242.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Name Book (County). Object Name Books of the Ordnance Survey. Book No. 20, 23.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 7335 4480 (6m by 6m)|
|Civil Parish||INVERNESS AND BONA|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (3)
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/BTL6 (Online designation description (Historic Environment Scotland))
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/LB8042 (Online designation description (Historic Environment Scotland))
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/14285 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.