MHG40084 - Cnoc A' Chrochaire
Two stone-built stack stands.
Type and Period (1)
- STACK STAND (Undated)
- None recorded
This farmstead is situated on the E side of the public road to Waternish, opposite the modern house of Allt a' Chaim; it comprises two buildings, terraced into the slope a few metres apart, and 40m to the S, alongside a field-bank, there are the remains of a pair of stack-stands, each of them 2m in diameter. The two buildings are shown as roofed on the 2nd edition of the Ordnance Survey map of 1904 (Island of Skye &c., Inverness-shire 1904, sheet xv). On either side of the road at this location are the traces of a field-system, enclosing several hectares. At NG 2726 5528 there is a small enclosure on the N bank of a small burn, immediately E of the fields to the E of the road.
Visited by RCAHMS (PJD) 20 November 1990.
These stack stands were visited in November 2008 in connection with a proposed development. They are stone-built measuring 2 metres in diameter and lying some 1.5 metres apart. They are situated to the east side of the roadside boundary dyke and just to the south of a small tree. It was recommended that the stack stands are retained. <1>
|Grid reference||Centred NG 2720 5525 (6m by 8m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Geographical Area||SKYE AND LOCHALSH|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Investigations/Events (1)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/71130 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.