MHG40177 - Barrow cemetery, 400m NW of Tarradale House
No summary available.
Type and Period (2)
- SQUARE BARROW? (Pictish - 300 AD? to 900 AD?)
- (Alternate Type) RECTILINEAR ENCLOSURE? (Pictish - 300 AD? to 900 AD?)
- None recorded
Air photography has revealed the crop-marks of at least three ring-ditches 400 m NW of Tarradale House.
RCAHMS 1979; Visible on RCAHMS air photogaphs RC 1857-60, flown 1978.
Cropmarks, cluster of at least five ring-ditches, with possibly two square enclosures, to the N and E of the pentagonal enclosure 400m NW of Tarradale House. Diameter of the three largest circles is c 10-12m. Has the appearance of a barrow cemetery. Noted as 'three ring-ditches' in RCAHMS catalogue of APs, 1978, 18.
J S Bone 1996
- --- Text/Publication/Article: Bone, J S. 1996. 'Tarradale (Urray parish, Ross and Cromarty), cropmark', Discovery and Excavation in Scotland 1996, p.57. Discovery and Excavation in Scotland. 57. 57.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Professor G.D.B. Jones. 1993. Excavation and Survey at a Cropomark Site near Muir of Ord, Ross & Cromarty..
- --- Text/Report: RCAHMS. 1979. The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland. The archaeological sites and monuments of the Black Isle, Ross and Cromarty District, Highland Region. . 16, No. 92.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 5494 4895 (30m by 30m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/12684 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.