MHG40213 - Guirdil, Rhum


No summary available.

Type and Period (1)

  • RIG AND FURROW (Undated)

Protected Status

  • None recorded

Full Description

The remains of five rectangular buildings, varying in size from at least 8m by 3m to 4.5m by 2m within turf-covered stone wall footings, are situated on the SW side of Glen Guirdil, 200m SW of the ruinous cottages on the shore. There are extensive traces of rig-and-furrow cultivation on the lower slopes of the glen.
This is probably one of the 'little hamlets' noted by Pennant in 1772 and is depicted on Langlands's map in 1801; it may have been abandoned by 1824, when Thomson's map places Guirdil on NE side of the river (see NG 30 SW 8).
Visited by RCAHMS May 1983

A fence post has been inserted into a building and the settlement has been robbed to build a sheep pen.
NMRS MS/868/1

An unroofed building with two short lengths of attached wall is depicted on the 1st edition of the OS 6-inch map (Argyllshire, Islands of Rum, Sanday etc., 1879, sheet lx). Three unroofed buildings and some walls are shown on the current edition of the OS 1:10000 map (1975).
Information from RCAHMS (SAH) 5 December 1996

Sources/Archives (4)



Grid reference Centred NG 3186 0117 (30m by 30m) (2 map features)
Map sheet NG30SW
Civil Parish SMALL ISLES
Geographical Area LOCHABER

Finds (0)

Related Monuments/Buildings (1)

Related Investigations/Events (0)

External Links (1)

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.