MHG4027 - Eilean Nan Gobhar Fort 2
No summary available.
Type and Period (2)
- FORT (Early Bronze Age to Pictish - 2400 BC? to 900 AD?)
- VITRIFIED STONE (Early Bronze Age to Pictish - 2400 BC? to 900 AD?)
- None recorded
NM67NE 2 6937 7946.
See also NM67NE 1.
(NM 6937 7946) Vitrified Fort (NR) (Remains of)
OS 6" map, Argyllshire, 2nd ed., (1902)
There are two vitirfied forts on Eilean nan Gobhar, a rocky cliff-girt islet.
The smaller (see MHG4026 for the other) on a separate lower, rise, is oval on plan, measuring c. 25.0m E to W by c 16.0m transversely, within a heavily vitrified wall c. 4.5m to 5.0m thick. The outer face is visible up to 3 courses high around most of the S arc and for a short distance in the N but no inner face can be seen. No entrance is apparent. The W part of the interior is contained by a curving bank of rubble stones which may be the remains of a hut wall.
E Hamillton 1880; R W Feachem 1963; Visited by OS (N K B) 1 June 1970.
This site was included in the Atlas of Hillforts of Britain and Ireland online database. See link below for site entry. <1>
Two pieces of vitrified stone from forts on Eilean-nan-Gobhar were acquired by the NMS in 1905 from Colonel McHardy. They were two of one of eight pieces collected from the walls of various forts. Acc. No. HH 88 and HH 89. Since there are two forts on Eilean-nan-Gobhar and two samples, it is assumed one is from each fort, although the catalogue does not state which is from which. See also MHG4027. <2>
- --- Image/Photograph(s): Eilean an Gobhar from Roskeen.. Colour Slide; Digital Image. .
- --- Image/Photograph(s): Eilean nan Gobhar Forts.. Colour Slide; Digital Image. .
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Feachem, R W. 1963. A Guide to Prehistoric Scotland. 1st. 127.
- --- Text/Publication/Article: Hamilton, E. 1880. Archaeol J Vol. 37 1880, p.238-40. Archaeol J. 238-40. 239-40; plan.
- --- Text/Publication/Article: Nisbet, H C. 1974. 'A geological approach to vitrified forts, part I: the archaeological and scientific background', Science and Archaeology, Vol 12, pp 3-12. p 5, 6, 9.
- --- Text/Publication/Article: Nisbet, H C. 1975. 'A geological approach to vitrified forts, part II: bedrock and building stone', Science and Archaeology, Vol 15, pp 3-16. p 13, no. 38.
- <1> Interactive Resource/Online Database: Lock, G. & Ralston, I.. 2017. Atlas of Hillforts of Britain and Ireland. SC2536.
- <2> Dataset/Database File: National Museums Scotland. 2019. Highland Finds from the NMS Catalogue. National Museums Scotland. Digital. HH 88- HH 89.
|Grid reference||Centred NM 6936 7946 (100m by 100m) (Buffered by site type)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (2)
- http://hillforts.arch.ox.ac.uk/records/SC2536.html (Link to online Atlas of Hillforts of Britain and Ireland site entry)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/22510 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.