MHG4035 - Borrodale House, Arisaig
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- HOUSE (Post Medieval - 1560 AD to 1900 AD)
NM68NE 3.00 6945 8501
NM68NE 3.01 6946 8504 steading
The site of the old Borrodale House, where Prince Charles Edward Stewart stayed at the start of his campaign (Bundell 1907) was on or near Arisaig House built in 1849 at NM 6915 8485 (ONB 1880). Murray states that Borrodale House was destroyed in 1746, and that the present house (at NM 6945 8501) is built on the same site, of the same stones and to the same plan.
Name Book 1880; F O Blundell 1907; W H Murray 1968.
Murray's information verified locally.
Visited by OS (N K B) 18 May 1970.
Architect: Philip Webb, alterations and additions 1874
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Blundell, O. 1907. Ancient catholic homes of Scotland. 80.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Murray, W H. 1968. The companion guide to the West Highlands of Scotland. 238.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Name Book (County). Object Name Books of the Ordnance Survey. Book No. 32, 196.
|Grid reference||Centred NM 6945 8501 (20m by 20m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Civil Parish||ARISAIG AND MOIDART|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (2)
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/LB332 (Online designation description (Historic Environment Scotland))
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/22522 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.