MHG40626 - Wall and turf bank, enclosure, Camas Ghaoideil (Gaoth Dail), Rhu
Wall and turf bank surrounding an enclosure at Camas Ghaoideil, Rhu
Type and Period (3)
- ENCLOSURE (Post Medieval - 1560 AD? to 1900 AD?)
- WALL (Post Medieval - 1560 AD? to 1900 AD?)
- TURF BANK (Post Medieval - 1560 AD? to 1900 AD?)
- None recorded
What may be a township comprising five unroofed buildings and a field is depicted on the 1st edition of the OS 6-inch map (Inverness-shire 1876, sheet cxxxv). Four unroofed buildings and a field are shown on the current edition of the OS 1:10000 map (1974).
Information from RCAHMS (SAH) 19 August 1996
Gaoth Dail was surveyed in 2012 by Rough Bounds Archaeology et al and descends from 50 m above sea level to the shore for c.350m north to south and a maximum of 150 m east to west. It is surrounded by an extant dry stonewall with several substantial roofless buildings.
Site 13. Start of substantial wall up to 1.5 mtrs high running SW towards the sea on the eastern side of the pasture. North of this point wall continues as a turf bank to the NE.
Site 14. Juncton of the wall which continues SW towards the sea and the side wall runs at 90 degrees.
Site 16. …The wall is well built in places but rough built elsewhere. Using the natural low cliffs the western wall continues seaward where it turns at the top of the beach to run SSE to complete the pasture enclosure at the eastern wall. <1>
NGR adjusted based on 2012 aerial photographs <2>
1st Edition OS 6" <3>
- --- Text/Publication/Article: Alexander, D. 1995. 'Arisaig (Arisaig & Moidart parish), desk-based survey and field inspection', Discovery and Excavation in Scotland 1995, p.40. Discovery and Excavation in Scotland. 40. 40.
- <1> Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Rough Bounds Archaeology. 2016. Walkover Survey - Rhu Peninsula. Rough Bounds Archaeology. Digital. p.12 Sites 13,14,&16.
- <2> Image/Photograph(s)/Aerial Photograph/Vertical: Get Mapping. 2012. Getmapping aerial photography 2012. XY
- <3> Image/Map: Ordnance Survey. 1873-6. Ordnance Survey 1st edition 6 inch map: Inverness-shire. Digital.
|Grid reference||Centred NM 6709 8424 (297m by 487m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Civil Parish||ARISAIG AND MOIDART|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (1)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/118371 (View HES Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.