MHG40678 - Walled garden - old Urray Manse
Manse walled garden
Type and Period (1)
- WALLED GARDEN (Post Medieval - 1560 AD? to 1900 AD?)
The walled garden of the former Urray parish manse.
The walled garden and the manse to the south (see MHG8996) were listed at Category B in 1971.
(“New”) Old Urray manse – HES B Listed Building 14018. This building 300m to the south of the burial ground dates to 1814 and is presently inhabited. The NSA of 1840 has “The manse was built in 1814 and is at present in excellent condition having been repaired in 1837”. Associated with this later manse are the remains of a substantial walled garden to the NW. Lining the driveway around the house there is a collection of carved stones positioned as garden ornaments. They include dressed stones, some quite intricately carved, which have been part of other buildings - decorative ridge stones, finials, millstones/grind stones, lair markers etc. <1>
Ordnance Survey Mastermap <2>
|Grid reference||Centred NH 5070 5296 (74m by 72m)|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (2)
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/LB14018 (Online designation description (Historic Environment Scotland))
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/254126 (View HES Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.