MHG40739 - Site of burial ground, Chapelton, Newhall Point

Summary

A roughly circular early medieval or medieval burial ground which has been partially investigated by means of trial excavation.

Type and Period (1)

  • BURIAL GROUND (Early Medieval to Medieval - 901 AD to 1301 AD) + Sci.Date

Protected Status

Full Description

NH76NW 2 7088 6707 and 7091 6704.

(NH 7088 6707) Chapel (NR) (site of) (NH 7091 6704) Chapel Well (NAT) OS 6" map, (1959)

This is said to be site of a Roman Catholic, therefore presumably Pre-Reformation, chapel, about which nothing further is known.
When area around chapel was trenched 'large unchiseled stones' were uncovered. These were assumed to be grave-stones.
Unless this chapel pre-dates former parish church St. Michael's (NH76NW 1), its presence, only three-quarters of a mile from that church, is not easily explained.
The Chapel Well is a spring well.
Name Book 1875. <1>

The former existence of a chapel at this site is well known locally, but whether this was a pre-Reformation chapel or not could not be ascertained. The significant name "Chapelton" applies to cottage to E of site at NH 7094 6708. The published site falls on a flat area of uncultivated land, and contains several medium sized stones, black earth and numerous rabbit burrows. The 'Chapel Well' at NH 7091 6704 was filled in "many years ago".
Visited by OS (R B) 21 January 1966.

NH 708 670. Following trial excavations burial area under threat for housing construction was examined. Extended human burials were found in EW and NS orientations. Sandstone uprights were found associated with the burials and a shallow circular ditch marked boundary for graveyard. C14 dates from the skeletons were c10-11th centuries. There was no evidence of a chapel within excavated area. A rectangular masoned stone, possibly a cross-base was also found at NH709670 whilst digging a garden at Newhall Point, adjacent to excavated area. It measures 0.6m by 0.4m by 0.12m with a central rectangular slot some 0.22m by 0.1m. Re-tained by finder.
D Reed 1986; Mrs Selby and G Harden 1986. <2><3>

Rescue excavation was carried out 1985 on recorded site of an early medieval burial ground and chapel prior to construction of a new dwelling house at Newhall Point, Balblair. A complex cluster of E-Wt and N-S orientated skeletons uncovered. The roughly circular cemetery, c20m in diameter, was at least partly enclosed by ditch. Crudely worked, sandstone blocks found within some grave fills formed 'head-sets'. No artefacts were found in any of the graves. D Reed 1995 <4>

HAW: Site visit 11/9/2002: Not able to visit the chapel site itself, but should be noted that most north easterly property still carries remains of buildings (shown on 1st ed OS) within boundary wall. These are made up in part of substantial worked stone pieces, of at least two phases. Strong possibility that these could be reused stone from the original chapel building. Local reports of a gravestone being found in one of the local gardens recently and not reported. <5>

Sources/Archives (22)

Map

Location

Grid reference Centred NH 70886 67069 (70m by 70m) (Centred)
Map sheet NH76NW
Geographical Area ROSS AND CROMARTY
Civil Parish RESOLIS

Finds (0)

Related Monuments/Buildings (1)

Related Investigations/Events (1)

External Links (4)

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.