MHG40752 - Dundonnell, chapel & graveyard
No summary available.
Type and Period (2)
- CEMETERY (Undated)
- GRAVESTONE (Dated, First World War - 1914 AD to 1914 AD)
- None recorded
'Wester Ross Monumental Inscriptions', pre 1855
Monumental inscription survey completed by Alastair G. Beattie & Margaret H. Beattie. The survey may not include inscription information after 1855 and each inscription transcribed does not give the full details that appear on the stones, abbreviations used. Some ommissions and inacuracies may be encountered. First published 1987, reprinted 1991, 1996 & 1997, with corrections. <1>
Enclosed graveyard/chapel. Chapel of shaped/ashlared stone. Graveyard walled in dry-stone. Situated above right bank of Dundonnel River. The chapel is small and rectangular, the graveyard is rectangular with one rounded corner.
This site is included in the online database of the Commonwealth War Graves Commission (listed as Bordbuie Burial Ground, Lochbroom) due to the presence of one war grave. <3><4>
Photographs of the graveyard and the war grave were submitted by a visitor to the HER website in August 2008. The inscription on the war grave reads: "In Loving Memory of Richard Charles Dundas Firth, Lieut 9th South Lancashire Battalion, Son of the Late Charles (?)ney Firth, Riverdale, Sheffield. At Rest ?1st December 1914 Aged 36 Years." <5>
- <1> Text/Publication/Volume: Beattie, A G & Beattie, M H (eds.). 1997. Pre-1855 gravestone inscriptions in Wester Ross : a summary of and index to, pre-1855 gravestone inscriptions found in burial grounds in the parishes of Kincardine, Lochbroom, Gairloch, Applecross, Lochcarron, Lochalsh, Kintail and Glenshiel. 2nd. Paper (Original).
- <2> Verbal Communication: Aitken, J. Comments by Jacquie Aitken, SMR Assistant.
- <3> Text/Correspondence: Private individual. 2008-11. Feedback from website visitor. Yes. Digital. Martin Briscoe, 16/08/2008.
- <4> Interactive Resource/Online Database: Commonweath War Graves Commission. Debt of Honour Register.
- <5> Image/Photograph(s): Briscoe, J M. 2008-11. Information and photographs of various sites submitted by Martin Briscoe. Colour. Yes. Digital.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 1006 8823 (200m by 200m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (0)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.