MHG40984 - Cist, Inver Aulavaig
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- CIST (Bronze Age - 2400 BC to 551 BC)
- None recorded
NG61SW 3 6059 1264.
NG 6059 1264 near the shore at Inver Aulavaig, on the E side of the mouth of a small stream, Allt an Leth-bheinn, some 40 yards distant from and 22ft above high water mark, are the remains of two circular cairns of stone occupying a rough heathery ridge.
The first cairn measures 18ft in diameter and barely 2ft in height. It was opened many years ago when the greater portion of the northern half was removed, and a short cist containing a skeleton in a contracted position was discovered in the centre of the mound. The side slabs and one end are still in position and the covering stone lies beside the grave. The cist lies nearly NNE - SSW and measures 3ft 4ins in length, 2ft 2ins in depth, while the cover which is almost square in shape, measures 3ft 9ins long, 3ft 7ins in breadth and 6 ins thick.
The second cairn lies some 15ft (10.0m) SE of the first and is of the same dimensions but better preserved. It contains a central short cist, of which the sides and ends are still in situ. It lies almost due NE-SW and measures 3ft 4ins by 1ft 8ins by 1ft 10ins the cover-stone, which lies quite near, is of irregular shape and measures 3ft 4ins by 2ft 6ins and is 6ins thick.
The W slope of the ridge between the cairns and the estuary shows numerous small heaos of stone said to be the remains of other cairns. Some 27 yards SSW of the second cairn is a small cottar house, immediately to the N of which are the foundations of a former schoolhouse. When the material was being removed, a cist is reported to have been discovered under the floor which is no more than 12ft above high water mark.
Two cairns with short cists as described by RCAHMS.
'A' NG 605 127 Cist (Site of).
There is now no trace of the cist in the schoolhouse.
Visited by OS (A S P) 15 June 1961.
Remains of a box cist and cairn, heather- and grass-covered with four side slabs visible; 3 courses of outer stone still visible on south side with cairn material spread out to about 3m from cist; an upright slab sticks out, wedged between the outer cist construction slabs. 1.0 (cist), 7.0 cairn spread. Site visited during walkover survey in October 2010. <1><2>
This is the northern cist. For the southern cist see MHG54846. <3>
- --- Text/Report: RCAHMS. 1928. The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments and Constructions of Scotland. Ninth report with inventory of monuments and constructions in the Outer Hebrides, Skye and the Small Isles. . 191, No. 610.
- <1> Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Birch, S and Peteranna, M. 11/2010. Woodland Management Scheme Archaeological Desk Based Assessment and Walkover Survey: Crofts 6 & 7, Tokavaig, Isle of Skye. West Coast Archaeological Services. Digital. Site 3.
- <2> Collection/Project Archive: West Coast Archaeological Services. 2010. Crofts 6 & 7, Tokavaig, Isle of Skye. West Coast Archaeological Services. Digital. Site 3.
- <3> Verbal Communication: Tilbury, S. Comment by Sylvina Tilbury, HER Officer. 06/05/2011.
|Grid reference||Centred NG 6058 1264 (6m by 9m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Geographical Area||SKYE AND LOCHALSH|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Investigations/Events (1)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/11566 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.