MHG411 - Long Cist, Stain
No summary available.
Type and Period (2)
- LONG CIST (Early Iron Age to Early Medieval - 550 BC to 1057 AD)
- BURIAL GROUND (Early Iron Age to Early Medieval - 550 BC to 1057 AD)
- None recorded
A long-cist cemetery occupying a 300 yd long sandy mound, and comparable with Ackergill(ND35SW 12) and other cemeteries of the pre-Viking Iron Age. (See also ND36SW 21)
S Laing 1866; Name Book 1872; NMAS 1892; A J H Edwards 1926; P Ashmore 1981.
There is neither trace nor local knowledge of these cists.
Visited by OS 8 September 1965
This site was re-appraised along with the other cemetery sites in the area using Society of Antiquaries of Scotland manuscripts, and published sources, by Anna Ritchie. <1>
17 stone implements, a fragment of a dog’s jaw bone and limpet shells from Stain, Keiss were donated to the NMS by Samuel Lain in 1965 (X.GJ 156-172). It is unclear if they are related to the long-cist cemetery identified in this area. Further investigation is needed. <2>
- --- Text/Publication/Article: Ashmore, P J. 1981. 'Low cairns, long cists and symbol stones', Proceedings of the Society of Antiquaries of Scotland, Volume 110, 1978-80. 346-55. 350.
- --- Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Batey, C E. 1984. Caithness Coastal Survey 1980-82: Dunnet Head to Ousdale. University of Durham, Department of Archaeology. 30/01/1984. Digital (scanned as PDF). WIC 116.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Laing, S. 1866. Pre-historic remains of Caithness. 30-6; illust.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: NMAS. 1876. Catalogue of the National Museum of Antiquities of Scotland. 88.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Name Book (County). Object Name Books of the Ordnance Survey. Book No. 32, 196.
- --- Text/Publication/Article: Edwards, A J H. 1926. 'Excavation of a number of graves in a mound at Ackergill, Caithness', Proc Soc Antiq Scot Vol. 60 1925-6, p.160-82. Proc Soc Antiq Scot. 160-82. 173.
- <1> Text/Publication/Article: Ritchie, A.. 2011. Cemeteries of platform cairns and long cists around Sinclair's Bay, Caithness. Proc Soc Antiq Scot Vol. 141. 125-143. Digital.
- <2> Verbal Communication: Kruse, S. 2019. Note from Susan Kruse, Archaeology for Communities in the Highlands (ARCH). Yes.
|Grid reference||Centred ND 3440 6025 (6m by 6m) (Buffered by site type)|
- UNIDENTIFIED OBJECT (Undated)
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (2)
- http://archaeologydataservice.ac.uk/archives/view/psas/contents.cfm?vol=141&CFID=1154374&CFTOKEN=E5FA8DEA-4A9E-4B3A-AE76AEBDA08AF645 (Link to source article online.)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/9354 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.