MHG414 - MBA Flanged Axe - Keiss
Findspot of Middle Bronze Age flanged axe.
Type and Period (1)
- FINDSPOT (Bronze Age - 2400 BC to 551 BC)
- None recorded
A Middle Bronze Age, bronze flanged axe, found in a field near Keiss village (ND 34 61) formed part of collection of Sir Francis Tress Barry which was donated to NMAS 1908 (Acc No: DC 85).
Proc Soc Antiq Scot 1909; J M Coles 1966.
(Flanged axe of Lissett type). Near Keiss broch. Single find in a field. Flanged axe, corroded, green and black, flanges broken where they join the blade, blade hammered; length 114mm, butt 23mm, cutting edge 43mm, weight 190 gms. NMAS DC 85.
P K Schmidt and C B Burgess 1981.
- --- SHG1477 Text/Publication/Article: Coles, J M. 1966. 'Scottish Middle Bronze Age metalwork', Proc Soc Antiq Scot Vol. 97 1963-4, p.82-156. Proc Soc Antiq Scot. 82-156. 134.
- --- SHG28278 Dataset/Database File: National Museums Scotland. 2019. Highland Finds from the NMS Catalogue. National Museums Scotland. Digital. DC 85.
- --- SHG3000 Text/Publication/Article: Schmidt and Burgess, P K and C B. 1981. 'The axes of Scotland and Northern England', Prahistorische Bronzefunde Vol. 9. Prahistorische Bronzefunde. 100-1, no. 612.
- --- SHG624 Text/Publication/Article: PSAS. 1909. 'Donations to and purchases for the Museum and Library, with exhibits', Proc Soc Antiq Scot Vol. 43 1908-9, p.8-23, 73-5, 145-6, 176-9, 268-71, 291-5. Proc Soc Antiq Scot. 8-23, 73-5, 145-6, 176-9,. 20.
|Grid reference||Centred ND 3399 6100 (4m by 4m) (Buffered by site type)|
- AXEHEAD (Bronze Age - 2400 BC? to 551 BC?)
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (2)
- http://nms.scran.ac.uk/database/record.php?usi=000-100-104-063-C& (Link to NMS online collections database)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/9357 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.