MHG41557 - Cist - Broadford Bay
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- CIST (Bronze Age - 2400 BC to 551 BC)
- None recorded
OS 6"map, (1967)
A Hebridean type chambered cairn, probably originally round, but heavily robbed although it is still a large, steep-sided, grass-covered mound bearing trees. It measures about 77ft by 55ft by 13ft in height.
The chamber was discovered in 1832 when part of it collapsed, and a partial exploration produced, among other finds, a wrist-guard of fine grey-green stone. A smiliar wrist-guard (NG62SW 7) was found on the beach, probably having been thrown out during the exploration. An urn with a secondary burial was also found.
At least one cist was discovered when a small part of the E side of the cairn was removed in making the road. This is probably the "stone coffin and an urn" which Lamont (1913) mentions as having been found subsequently to the discovery of the chamber.
The capstone of the chamber, said to have been broken in 1832, still leans against the base of the mound on the N side. It is 8ft long, 5ft in maximum width and 1ft thick. A small flat slab lies nearby.
The wrist-guard was donated to the NMAS (Acc No. AT 4).
A S Henshall 1972; RCAHMS 1928; D Lamont 1913
- --- SHG1036 Text/Publication/Article: Archaeol Scot. 1890. 'List of donations presented to the Society of Antiquities of Scotland', Archaeol Scot Vol. 5 1861-80, p.1-79. Archaeol Scot. 1-79. 13.
- --- SHG1231 Text/Publication/Article: Gregory, D. 1857. 'Notes regarding various remains of antiquity, both of the earlier and middle ages, observed during a recent visit to the Hebrides', Archaeol Scot Vol. 4 1857, p.362-5. Archaeol Scot. 362-5. 364.
- --- SHG2404 Text/Publication/Volume: Lamont, D. 1913. Strath: in Skye. 159-60.
- --- SHG2656 Text/Report: RCAHMS. 1928. The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments and Constructions of Scotland. Ninth report with inventory of monuments and constructions in the Outer Hebrides, Skye and the Small Isles. . 212, No. 657.
- --- SHG358 Text/Publication/Monograph: Henshall, A S. 1972. The chambered tombs of Scotland, Volume 2. 2. Paper (Original). 484-5, SKY 6.
|Grid reference||Centred NG 6417 2377 (10m by 10m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Geographical Area||SKYE AND LOCHALSH|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/11585 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.