MHG4160 - Hut circle at Sandavore, Eigg
The remains of a circular, stone-walled hut.
Type and Period (1)
- HUT CIRCLE (Bronze Age - 2400 BC to 551 BC)
- None recorded
A 10m diameter hut outline is noted as a very low turf ridge , spread to c.2m. Few stones survive and the structure is very subdued. <1>
At NM 4749 8443 at the base of an E-facing slope are the ill-defined remains of a circular stone-walled hut, measuring 10.0m in diameter overall, and visible as a grass-covered wall spread to about 2.0m, with three or four boulders on edge of the outer face visible in both N and S arcs. The E arc is mutilated and the entrance is not evident. There is no trace of contemporary cultivation.
Surveyed at 1/10,000.
Visited by OS (ISS) 6 May 1972
R Rushbrooke et al 1986 (MS.), No.3.5
Two trial trenches were excavated in June 2002 to assess the condition and possible date of this hut circle. <2><3>
- <1> Text/Record Form/Field Recording Form: Highland Council. Records of site monitoring visits within Highland Council Sites and Monuments Record. B Cushion, May 1998.
- <2> Text/Publication/Serial: Turner, R (ed). 2002. Discovery and Excavation in Scotland - New Series, Volume 3, 2002. Paper (Original). p 78.
- <3> Text/Report: Cowie, T. 2002. LBA Metalworking Debris at Galmisdale, Eigg. National Museums of Scotland. . Paper and Digital.
- <4> Text/Report: Cushion, B. 1999. Isle of Eigg Archaeological Survey Woodland Grant Scheme Area 1999. . Digital (scanned as PDF). Site 15, Fig 3.
|Grid reference||Centred NM 4748 8446 (10m by 10m) (Approximate)|
|Civil Parish||SMALL ISLES|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/22174 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.