MHG4171 - Kilmallie Old Parish Church & Burial Ground, Corpach
The remains of the former Parish Church at Kilmallie, Corpach.
Type and Period (1)
- CHURCH (Post Medieval - 1560 AD to 1900 AD)
Rubble, roofless, various tombstones
NN07NE 3 0905 7693.
(NN 0905 7693) Chapel (NR) (Remains of)
OS 6"map, (1938)
The remains of the former parish church of Kilmallie, re-used as a family burial-place of the Camerons of Locheil, standing the the old burial ground, which was superseded by a new cemetery in 1953. Apparently a N aisle of the church, it is a small unroofed enclosure, with walls 10' high and 2' to 2'8" thick, measuring 23'3" N-S by 16'3" E-W internally. There is a deeply-splayed window opening in the N wall, a sealed window in the W wall, and a round-arched doorway in the S.
The date of this particular building is not known but the origins of Kilmallie church go back to the Early Christian period, with a dedication to Maillidh, and the presence of an Annat (NN07NE 3) nearby. There is a tradition that one of the early churches stood further up the hill than its successors. The first recorded date for the church is 1296 and there are traditional tales of rebuilding in the 15th or 16th centuries. The church was disused from the Reformation until 1661 in which year there is a record of a proposed rebuilding.
MacCulloch (1938) says that a Cameron who died in 1719 is buried within the present ruin, which would suggest that the church of which it formed part was out of use by that time; but none of the dates on the monuments is earlier than 1799.
This later date would fit better with known facts eg. that the modern church was built in 1783, the stones from the old church being used in the construction of the modern churchyard wall. Acceptance of the former date would mean that the parish was served by yet another church between the beginning of the 18th century and 1783.
H Scott et al 1915-61; W J Watson 1926; D B MacCulloch 1938; 1971.
There is no trace of any of the old churches.
Visited by OS (N K B) 15 May 1970.
Four photographs were submitted of Kilmallie Old Parish Church by Martin Briscoe in May 2011. <1>
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Edited by Alistair G Beattie and Margaret H Beattie. 1990. Lochaber and Skye Monumental Inscriptions, pre 1855. 1st.
- --- Image/Photograph(s): Highland Council Archaeology Unit. HCAU Slide Collection Sheet 7. Colour slide. . Digital (scanned). 128.
- --- Image/Photograph(s): Highland Council Archaeology Unit. HCAU Slide Collection Sheet 8. Colour slide. . Digital (scanned). 150.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: MacCulloch, D B. 1938. Romantic Lochaber. Rev. 186-91.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: McCulloch, D B. 1971. Romantic Lochaber. 236-46.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Scott, H et al (eds.). 1915-61. Fasti ecclesiae Scoticanae: the succession of ministers in the Church of Scotland from the Reformation. Rev.. Vol. 4, 134.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Watson, W J. 1926. The history of the Celtic place-names of Scotland: being the Rhind lectures on archaeology (expanded) delivered in 1916. 290.
- <1> Image/Photograph(s): Briscoe, J M. 2011. Photograph of the Burial Ground at Kilmallie Old Parish Church, Corpach. Colour digital. Yes. Digital.
|Grid reference||Centred NN 0904 7693 (7m by 5m)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (2)
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/LB7095 (Online designation description (Historic Environment Scotland))
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/23586 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.