MHG41716 - Field system, The Ord
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- CLEARANCE CAIRN (Undated)
NC50NE 54 572 061.
(A: NC 5721 0612, B: NC 5727 0607) Two hut circles noted.
Visited by OS (A A) 8 June 1971.
Centred at NC 572 061 on terraces in the gentle north slopes of Ord Hill are two, possibly three stone-walled huts within a small field system, which is separated from the main Ord Hill settlement (NC50NE 13) by marshy ground. Huts A and B are of simple form, and identical in shape and size, being 10.0m internal diameter within a tumbled wall spread to 2.5m broad. Peat growth obscures structural details of the huts, though B is marginally better-preserved. The entrance gaps are in the SE arc, that to A being 4.0m wide. Some 20.0m SSW of hut B is an earth and stone bank 2.5m wide forming an arc about 8.5m across internally ©; it is probably the remains of a hut.
The area around the huts has been cultivated, evidenced by the smooth appearance of the ground, five or six scattered clearance heaps, and a well-preserved stony lynchet north of hut B, but peat build-up obscures any pattern of field plots which may have existed.
Surveyed at 1:10,000.
Visited by OS (N K B) 27 July 1976.
Surveyed at 1/2500.
Visited by OS (J B) 13 March 1979.
Topographically surveyed in Spring 2010. Clearance cairn at HC 57250 06128, 4m in diameter, 0.8m high. Erosion scar on N side. The cairn is covered in deep heather. Curving lynchet along the NW edge of level ground at HC57250 906128. Approximately 0.5m high and 45m long.
Covered in deep heather. <3>
- <1> Text/Publication/Volume: Wickham Jones C. The Ord, Lairg A Journey Back in Time.
- <2> Text/Publication/Leaflet: Wickham Jones C; Harden J. 2000. The Ord, Lairg: Archaeological Trail.
- <3> Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Dalland, M. 05/2010. A Topographic Archaeological Survey of the Ord Prehistoric Landscape: Lairg, North Highland. Headland Archaeology Ltd. Digital. Sites HA1.4-5.
|Grid reference||Centred NC 5720 0609 (4m by 4m) (Buffered by site type)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Investigations/Events (1)
External Links (2)
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/SM1812 (Online designation description (Historic Environment Scotland))
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/5026 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.