MHG4174 - EBA Mould, Kilmallie
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- FINDSPOT (Bronze Age - 2400 BC to 551 BC)
- None recorded
An early Bronze Age stone mould was found at Kilmailie before June, 1871 (Britton 1963). It is a water-worn slab of micacaeous sandstone c.7" square and 3 1/2" thick having on both its flat sides annular hollows 3" diam., c.1/2" wide and 1/4" deep, apparently moulds for casting rings of metal (PSAS 1873). It does not appear to have been used and is now in the NMAS. (Acc. No: CM9) (Britton 1963).
Proc Soc Antiq Scot 1873; D Britton 1963.
Acquired by the NMS in 1871 from Reverend Archibald Clark. <1>
- --- Text/Publication/Article: Britton, D. 1963. 'Traditions of metal-working in the later Neolithic and early Bronze Age of Britain: Part I', Proc Prehist Soc Vol. 29 1963, p.258-325. Proc Prehist Soc. 258-325. 325.
- --- Text/Publication/Article: PSAS. 1873. 'Donations to and purchases for the Museum', (And exhibits)', Proc Soc Antiq Scot Vol. 9 1870-2, p.5-12,53-9,78-81,153-7,179-85,219-23,238-49,. Proc Soc Antiq Scot. 5-12,53-9,78-81,153-7,179. 248.
- <1> Dataset/Database File: National Museums Scotland. 2019. Highland Finds from the NMS Catalogue. National Museums Scotland. Digital. CM 9.
|Grid reference||Centred NN 0900 7599 (4m by 4m) (Buffered by site type)|
- MOULD (Bronze Age - 2400 BC to 551 BC)
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/23590 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.