MHG41791 - Site of Barn, Old Leanach House, Culloden

Summary

The site of the barn which was burned following the Battle of Culloden 1746. No visible traces survive.

Type and Period (1)

  • BARN (Built, 18th Century - 1721 AD to 1730 AD (at some time))

Protected Status

Full Description

NMRS Notes

NH74SW 21 7450 4499

For Culloden Moor, Battlefield (centred NH 742 450), see NH74NW 17.00.

(NH 7450 4499) Old Leanach (NAT)
OS 6" map, Inverness-shire, 2nd ed., (1906)

'Old Leanach (In Ruins)'. 'This name applies to the ruins of a farmsteading situated in the "Field of the English". The barn that stood here in 1746 to which the wounded Highlanders were carried and over whom it was burned by order of the Duke of Cumberland, has completely disappeared leaving no vestiges behind.'
Name Book 1869. <1>

The old farm house of Leanach a low thatched building was completely restored by the National Trust in 1960. The site of the barn was fixed at c.9.0m to the SW of Leanach. At this spot are some foundations but not thought to be of the old barn (Information from Mr N MacDonald, Warden, National Trust for Scotland, Culloden).
Visited by OS (W D J) 24 April 1962.

Old Leanach farmstead is shown as an L-shaped unroofed building with an attached short length of wall on the 1st edition of the OS 6-inch map (Inverness-shire, Nairnshire 1871-6, sheet xiii).
Information from RCAHMS (AKK), 19 June 1996.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The site of the barn is depicted on James Fraser's 1867 map to the west of the cottage. It is marked as "Site of Barn burnt over wounded Highlanders by order of the Duke of Cumberland". <2>


Untitled Source (Image/Photograph(s)). SHG8030.


Culloden Moor, 1962, Culloden Moor and Clava circles (Text/Publication/Volume). SHG2091.


Taylor, I C, 1966, Culloden: a guidebook to the battlefield with the story of the battle, the events leading to it and the aftermath (Text/Publication/Volume). SHG2858.


Stell, G, 1981, Crucks in Scotland: a provisional list, 84 (Text/Publication/Article). SHG3133.


Close-Brooks, J, 1986, Exploring Scotland's Heritage: The Highlands, 68, No. 24 (Text/Publication/Volume). SHG2053.


<1> Name Book (County), Object Name Books of the Ordnance Survey, Book No. 18, 26 (Text/Publication/Volume). SHG3348.


<2> Gow, A, 03/2009, Old Leanach Cottage, Culloden: Desk Based Assessment and Architectural Record: March 2009, p 5 (Text/Report/Fieldwork Report). SHG24464.

Sources/Archives (7)

Map

Location

Grid reference Centred NH 74491 44984 (10m by 10m) (Centred)
Map sheet NH74SW
Civil Parish CROY AND DALCROSS
Geographical Area INVERNESS

Finds (0)

Related Monuments/Buildings (1)

Related Investigations/Events (0)

External Links (3)

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.