MHG4180 - EBA Halberd, Leanachan Forest
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- FINDSPOT (Bronze Age - 2400 BC to 551 BC)
- None recorded
An Early Bronze Age Halberd - O'Riordain's type 5 (1936) - was found in May when making a road in Leanachan Forest. It is now in the West Highland Museum, Fort William (Museum report 1960).
J M Coles 1971
The site of the discovery of this halberd was pointed out by the finder, Mr J Elder, at NN 179 796 (the junction of two forestry roads 140m NE of some cottages beside the Fort William - Spean Bridge railway).
Visited by OS (AC) 19 July 1961
Found at NN 1795 7960 whilst excavating the course of the forest road (J Elder, 13 Ard Nevis Rd, Fort William).
Visited by OS (AA) 6 September 1974
The halberd is on display at West Highland Museum. WHM 1520. <1>
- --- Text/Publication/Article: Coles, J M. 1971. 'Scottish Early Bronze Age metalwork', Proc Soc Antiq Scot Vol. 101 1968-9, p.1-110. Proc Soc Antiq Scot. 1-110. 87.
- --- Text/Publication/Article: O'Riordain, S P. 1936. 'The halberd in Bronze Age Europe', Archaeologia Vol. 86 1936, p.195-321. Archaeologia. 195-321. 195.
- --- Collection/Project Archive: Archaeology for Communities in the Highlands (ARCH). 08/2011. Digital site gazetteer and archive for ARCH Community Timeline Project: Invergarry. Yes. Site 9.
- <1> Text/Record Form/Project Recording Form: 2019. Finds Collection at West Highland Museum. WHM 1520.
|Grid reference||Centred NN 1794 7960 (4m by 4m) (Buffered by site type)|
- HALBERD (Bronze Age - 2400 BC to 551 BC)
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/23699 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.