MHG41802 - Kiln barn, Carn Na Caillich
A kiln barn forming part of an abandoned farmstead.
Type and Period (1)
- KILN BARN (Post Medieval - 1560 AD to 1900 AD)
- None recorded
NH94SW 11 9122 4265
Four dry-stone buildings, one a kiln-barn, with a large associated enclosure and lengths of field-wall.
OS 6" map, Nairnshire, 1st ed. (1871), sheet viii;
RCAHMS 1978, visited April 1978
This farmstead (NMRS MS 738/28, no.2), which comprises four buildings and an enclosure lying within a coniferous plantation, was recorded during the course of a pre-afforestation survey by AOC (Scotland) Ltd. The largest building measures 22m from N to S by 5m and has three chambers with a small cell or annexe appended on the E side. The neighbouring building, to the E, measures 7m in length by 4.5m in width. Both buildings have drystone rubble walls up to 0.8m thick and up to 0.6m high. Situated to the S, there are the remains of the kiln barn. The kiln chamber, which measures 2m in diameter, lies at the W end of a rectangular barn which is 8m long and 5m wide and is defined by walls 0.8m thick and 1m high. The fourth building lies to the NW. t measures 13m in length by 4.5m and is defined by drystone rubble walls 0.7m thick and 0.5m high. Adjacent to the W, crossed by machine-cut beds and a modern forestry track, there are the remains an enclosure measuring 25m by 30m.
J O'Sullivan and D Rankin, AOC (Scotland) Ltd, December 1995;
NMRS MS 738/28
Five unroofed buildings and an enclosure are depicted on the 1st edition of the OS 6-inch map (Nairnshire 1871-3-4, sheet viii). Four unroofed buildings and an enclosure are shown on the current edition of the OS 1:10000 map (1976).
Information from RCAHMS (SAH) 6 August 1996
NH 915 425 (centre) A pre-afforestation survey at Coulmony/Carn na Caillich, on the River Findhorn, was commissioned by Historic Scotland in response to management proposals by Cawdor Estate, and was conducted by AOC (Scotland) Ltd in November 1995.
NH 9122 4265 Abandoned farmstead and kiln barn (NH 94 SW 11).
Sponsor: Historic Scotland
AOC (Scotland) Ltd 1996. <3>
- <1> SHG2672 Text/Report: RCAHMS. 1978. The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland. The archaeological sites and monuments of Nairn District, Highland Region. . 21, No. 163.
- <2> SHG20953 Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: O'Sullivan, J and Rankin, D. 12/1995. Forestry Survey: Coulmony, Cawdor Estate, Highland Region. AOC (Scotland) Ltd. 01/01/1996. Site 2.
- <3> SHG470 Text/Publication/Article: AOC (Scotland) Ltd. 1996. 'Coulmony/Carn na Caillich (Ardclach parish), farmsteads, kiln barn, dykes, hut circle, cairnfields', Discovery and Excavation in Scotland 1996, p.58. Discovery and Excavation in Scotland. 58. 58.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 91257 42635 (16m by 7m) (Centred)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Investigations/Events (1)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/15499 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.