MHG41938 - Field System, Poll Tigh a' Charraigein
A field system comprising ruined field dykes and areas of cleared cultivated land and pasture.
Type and Period (1)
- FIELD SYSTEM (Medieval to 19th Century - 1058 AD? to 1900 AD?)
- None recorded
NC12NE 2 159 283
(Centred NC 1600 2830) Four buildings shown and named 'Town of Poltecamian' in 1774-5 (J Home 1774-5). Depopulated by 1878 when the area is named 'Poll Tigh a' Charraigein (OS 6"map, 1878).
J Home 1774-5; OS 6"map, Sutherland, 2nd ed., (1878) <1>
There remain the ruins of four buildings, one a subdivided dwelling, of dry-stone walling up to 3.0m high, and three smaller structures, possibly folds with some rounded corners, of dry-stone walling up to 1.5m high. Associated with the buildings are ruinous field walls and areas of cleared pasture land.
Visited by OS (R D L) 18 May 1962.
Poll Tigh a' Charraigein is generally as described above. The longhouse measures 14.5m by 4.5m and the smaller structures, which are more likely to have been dwellings or outhouses than folds, average 6.0m by 4.0m. Visited by OS (J B) 12 August 1980.
A township comprising two unroofed buildings is depicted on the 1st edition of the OS 6-inch map (Sutherland 1878, sheet lix). Four unroofed buildings, one of which has two compartments, are shown on the current edition of the OS 1:10,000 map (1992).
Information from RCAHMS (SAH) 5 September 1995
A walkover survey in February 2000 identified features associated with this field system. Full details can be found in the fieldwork report (linked to this record). <2>
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Adam, R J. 1960. John Home's survey of Assynt. 4, 5, 25, 37, 58, 72.
- <1> Text/Publication/Volume: Home, J. 1774-5. Survey of Assynt. map 8.
- <2> Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Dagg, C. 2000. An Archaeological Survey of the Proposed Extension to the Woodland Grant Scheme at Little Assynt, Assynt, Sutherland. Catherine Dagg. 01/03/2000. Digital (scanned as PDF). Sites 7, 8, 10.
|Grid reference||Centred NC 16067 28398 (600m by 600m) (Centred)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Investigations/Events (1)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/4535 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.