MHG420 - Gunn's Castle

Summary

No summary available.

Type and Period (1)

  • CASTLE (Medieval to 19th Century - 1058 AD to 1900 AD)

Protected Status

  • None recorded

Full Description

Gunn's Castle (NR) (remains of) OS 6" map, (1971)

The ruins of a small rectangular keep about 37 by 23ft with walls some 3ft thick, on a peninsular rock isolated by a wall built on a rock shelf. Immediately outside buiding at NE angle is a circular depression, some 9ft in diameter and 2 to 3ft deep, probably indicating a well. The castle was a stronghold of the Gunns.
T Sinclair 1890; RCAHMS 1911.

The turf-covered footings of a tower, 0.5m high, known locally as "Gunn's Castle" (info from G Sutherland, Bridgend, East Clyth, Caithness) generally as described by the RCAHMS except that the outer wall to the SW has been destroyed by erosion, and the alleged wall is probably a natural sink-hole caused by drainage through a rock fault. Date not ascertained.
Visited by OS (N K B) 10 April 1967.


Thomas Sinclair, 1890, The Gunns, 190 (Text/Publication/Volume). SHG2869.


RCAHMS, 1911, The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments and Constructions of Scotland. Second report and inventory of monuments and constructions in the county of Sutherland, 84, No. 305 (Text/Report). SHG2657.


Miller, D B, 1975, 'Historical castles and families of the north. 2. Castle Gunn and Halberry- The Gunns', Caithness Fld Club Bulletin Vol. 1 Oct 1975, p.76-8, 76-8 (Text/Publication/Article). SHG2966.

Sources/Archives (3)

Map

Location

Grid reference Centred ND 3074 3858 (18m by 19m)
Map sheet ND33NW
Civil Parish LATHERON
Geographical Area CAITHNESS

Finds (0)

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Investigations/Events (0)

External Links (1)

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.