MHG42021 - St Columba's, Dirlot
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- GRAVESTONE (Undated)
- None recorded
St Columba's Chapel (NR) (Site of) OS 6" map, (1963)
'Caithness Monumental Inscriptions', pre 1855
Monumental inscription survey completed by A.S.Cowper & I.Ross.
The survey may not include inscription information after 1855 and each inscription transcribed does not give the full details that appear on the stones, abbreviations used. Some ommissions and inacuracies. Published 1992.
J Aitken : 20/12/02
Within graveyard at Dirlot is site of a chapel dedicated to St Columba, of which no vestige now remains.
RCAHMS 1911, visited 1910.
No trace of this chapel was found within graveyard at Dirlot. Visited by OS (W D J) 11 April 1961.
Previous field report confirmed. Burials ceased in graveyard early this century.
Visited by OS (J B) 1 March 1982.
- --- Text/Publication/Article: Myatt, L J. 1975. 'The early ecclesiastical remains of Halkirk Parish', Caithness Fld Club Bulletin Vol. 1 April 1975, p.55-61. Caithness Fld Club Bulletin. 55-61. 55, 56.
- --- Text/Publication/Monograph: A S Cowper & I Ross. 1992. Caithness Monumental Inscriptions, pre 1855. 3.
- --- Text/Report: RCAHMS. 1911. The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments and Constructions of Scotland. Third report and inventory of monuments and constructions in the county of Caithness. . 47, No. 169.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Watson, G.. 1991. Caithness Chapel Sites.
|Grid reference||Centred ND 1260 4868 (6m by 6m) (Buffered by site type)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/8263 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.