MHG42022 - Chapel etc, Ballachly
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- GRAVESTONE (Undated)
- None recorded
Grave Yard (NAT) OS 1:10,000 map, (1975)
'Caithness Monumental Inscriptions', pre 1855
Monumental inscription survey completed by A.S.Cowper & I.Ross.
The survey may not include inscription information after 1855 and each inscription transcribed does not give the full details that appear on the stones, abbreviations used. Some ommissions and inacuracies. Published 1992.
J Aitken : 20/12/02
A graveyard, enclosed and still in use in 1910, said to be the site of a chapel dedicated to the 7th century St Triduan. There were remains of a small building on the N of the enclosure in 1871, but its nature was not known. When visited by the RCAHMS in 1910, any old tombstones there might have been were obscured by rank weeds and grass.
RCAHMS 1911; Name Book 1871; A MacKay 1914.
Much rubble and building material lie scattered within and around the graveyard, but no intelligible foundation remains. Weathering has made all the old tombstones illegible.
Visited by OS (R L) 9 May 1967.
No change. Visited by OS (N K B) 6 December 1982.
George Watson, Caithness Chapel Sites (Text/Publication/Volume). SHG3470.
Name Book (County), Object Name Books of the Ordnance Survey, Book No. 6, 14 (Text/Publication/Volume). SHG3390.
RCAHMS, 1911, The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments and Constructions of Scotland. Third report and inventory of monuments and constructions in the county of Caithness, 85, No. 309 (Text/Report). SHG2664.
Beaton, D (ed.), 1914, History of the Province of Caithness and Sutherland from the Earliest Times to 1615, 36 (Text/Publication/Volume). SHG2457.
Cowper, A S, 1983, 'Burial grounds of Caithness and Sutherland', Caithness Fld Club Bulletin Vol. 3 1983, p.116-19, 108-9 (Text/Publication/Article). SHG373.
A S Cowper & I Ross, 1992, Caithness Monumental Inscriptions, pre 1855 (Text/Publication/Monograph). SHG1839.
- --- Text/Publication/Monograph: A S Cowper & I Ross. 1992. Caithness Monumental Inscriptions, pre 1855. 4.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Beaton, D (ed.). 1914. History of the Province of Caithness and Sutherland from the Earliest Times to 1615. 36.
- --- Text/Report: RCAHMS. 1911. The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments and Constructions of Scotland. Third report and inventory of monuments and constructions in the county of Caithness. . 85, No. 309.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Name Book (County). Object Name Books of the Ordnance Survey. Book No. 6, 14.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: George Watson. Caithness Chapel Sites.
- --- Text/Publication/Article: Cowper, A S. 1983. 'Burial grounds of Caithness and Sutherland', Caithness Fld Club Bulletin Vol. 3 1983, p.116-19. Caithness Fld Club Bulletin. 116-19. 108-9.
|Grid reference||Centred ND 1932 4477 (6m by 6m) (Buffered by site type)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/8276 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.