MHG42052 - Thrumster Mains Broch
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- CIST (Early Bronze Age to Late Iron Age - 2400 BC? to 560 AD?)
- None recorded
Broch (NR) (remains of) OS 1:10,000 map, (1975)
(See ND34NW 20.2)
Broch, Thrumster: This broch has had remains of its structure cleared out and a portion of wall to S removed - in which place are the ruins of a summer-house. The interior diameter is 36ft and the wall is 15ft thick at base. When excavated a skeleton was found buried in a cist of slabs in mound heaped against outside of the fabric. Also believed to have been found was a long- handled weaving comb presented to the NMAS in 1783 by Mr Innes of Thrumster (Acc No: GA 66).
This broch has diameter of 20m over walls 4.3m thick. Turf-topped wall is in fair condition except on S where a portion has been removed entirely to accommodate a modern building and here and there outer and inner wall faces are crumbling. The wall has a max external height of 1.5m on W side and an average internal height of 1.2m. Interior of broch has been cleared out. The entrance was probably on S.
Revised at 1:2500. Visited by OS (W D J) 22 April 1963.
No change. Visited by OS (J B) 19 August 1982.
|Grid reference||Centred ND 3319 4504 (4m by 4m) (Buffered by site type)|
- SHERD (Iron Age - 550 BC to 560 AD)
- SHERD (18th Century to 20th Century - 1701 AD to 2000 AD)
- POUNDER (Iron Age - 550 BC? to 560 AD?)
- LAMP (Iron Age - 550 BC? to 560 AD?)
- PESTLE? (Iron Age - 550 BC? to 560 AD?)
- WHETSTONE? (Iron Age - 550 BC? to 560 AD?)
- INGOT MOULD? (Iron Age - 550 BC? to 560 AD?)
- POLISHER (Iron Age - 550 BC? to 560 AD?)
- SPINDLE WHORL (Iron Age - 550 BC? to 560 AD?)
- GAMING PIECE (Iron Age - 550 BC? to 560 AD?)
- UNIDENTIFIED OBJECT (Iron Age - 550 BC? to 560 AD?)
- BEAD? (Iron Age - 550 BC? to 560 AD?)
- WORKED OBJECT (Iron Age - 550 BC? to 560 AD?)
- NAIL (Early Iron Age to 21st Century - 550 BC? to 2100 AD?)
- FITTING (Early Iron Age to 21st Century - 550 BC? to 2100 AD?)
Related Monuments/Buildings (2)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/8963 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.