MHG42055 - Possible Site of Chapel, Eilean Flodigarry


No summary available.

Type and Period (1)


Protected Status

  • None recorded

Full Description

About a mile to the north of Fladda lies the isle Altrig: it has a little old chapel in it dedicated to St. Turos (M Martin 1934). St. Turos is not listed by either Forbes (A P Forbes 1872) or Watson (W J Watson 1926) but Altrig equates with the present day 'Eilean Flodigarry' (OS 6"map, Isle of Skye, Inverness-shire, 1st ed. 1878). This chapel does not appear to be mentioned elsewhere, and a ruin on the island, shown as occupied on the OS 6" map, 2nd ed., is not shown at all on the OS 6"map, 1st ed. It would appear to be a farmhouse of some sort as much run-rig is evident on the air photograph (Visible on RAF air photograph 273: 4041-2).
M Martin 1934; A P Forbes 1872; W J Watson 1926.

A search of the island of Flodigarry revealed only the remains of the ruined house, referred to above.
Visited by OS (A S P) 6 May 1961.

Sources/Archives (3)



Grid reference Centred NG 4780 7170 (40m by 40m) (2 map features)
Map sheet NG47SE
Geographical Area SKYE AND LOCHALSH
Civil Parish KILMUIR

Finds (0)

Related Monuments/Buildings (1)

Related Investigations/Events (0)

External Links (1)

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.