MHG42079 - Cists w Finds, Edderton
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- BURIAL (Bronze Age - 2400 BC to 551 BC)
- None recorded
Tumulus (NR) (Site of) Six Stone Cists found AD 1866
OS 6" map, Ross-shire, 2nd ed., (1907)
Chambered Cairn (NR) (Site of) OS 6" map (1959)
Six Stone Cists found AD 1866, one had been previously opened; a second contained fragments of an Urn and Burnt Bones; third Flint Arrowheads Charcoal and Blackened Grain; a fourth Burnt Bones, Human Teeth, Thumb Flint or Scraper and Blackened Grain; a fifth Fine Sand, Burnt Bones and Charcoal; and a sixth an Urn and a Human Skeleton (NAT)
OS 25" map, (1904)
The tumulus, measuring 24' in diameter and 5' high, is shown by the plan not to be a chambered cairn. The first cist, No. 1, was found about 1853 when the land was brought under cultivation. The others were found in clearing away the tumulus about 1866. All the cists were found on the natural surface level. No. 2, which was probably the original burial, was surrounded by a double circle of boulders on the natural surface. Contents:- One flint flake; small pieces of baked clay, burnt bone; an entire 'Drinking Cup' urn, with skeleton; flint arrow-head, blackened grain; fragments of baked clay, probably urn; burnt bones, nearly semi-circular disc of bluish flint, black oats.
J M Joass 1870; M E C Mitchell 1934.
There is now only a very slight swelling in the ground at this site which lies in a cultivated field.
Visited by OS (R D L) 16 May 1963.
- --- Text/Publication/Article: Joass, J M. 1870. 'Note of five kists found under a tumulus on the glebe of the parish of Eddertoun, Ross, and of a kist within a circle of standing stones in the same neighbourhood', Proc Soc Antiq Scot Vol. 7 1866-8, p.268-9. Proc Soc Antiq Scot. 268-9. 268-9; fig. 1.
- --- Text/Report: RCAHMS. 1979. The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland. The archaeological sites and monuments of Easter Ross, Ross and Cromarty District, Highland Region. . 11, No. 49.
- --- Text/Publication/Article: Rev. J.M.Joas. 1865. 'Notice of a cist and its contents in the parish of Edderton, Ross-shire, recently opened.', PSAS Vol. 5 1865, p.311-15. PSAS. 311-15. 311-15.
- --- Text/Publication/Article: Mitchell, M E C. 1934. 'A new analysis of the Early Bronze Age beaker pottery of Scotland', Proc Soc Antiq Scot, Vol 68 (1933-34), pp 132-89. p 187.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 7133 8449 (6m by 6m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/14739 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.