MHG42147 - Cist w finds, Uaigh Gillechunne
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- CREMATION (Bronze Age - 2400 BC? to 551 BC?)
- None recorded
Uaigh Gillechunne. Stone Coffin containing two urns found AD 1763. (NAT)
OS 6"map, Inverness-shire, 2nd ed., (1906)
Uamh Gillichuinne is a stone coffin only the sides of which now remain. Two urns filled with ashes were found in it in 1763. Tradition does not say who Gillichuinne was.
Uaigh Gillechunne: The remaining stones of the coffin were removed for use in the building of the older part of the present manse.
Name Book 1872
No trace exists. No further information.
Visited by OS (J B) 25 July 1975
- --- Text/Publication/Article: Hanley, R and Sheridan, A. 1994. 'A beaker cist from Balblair, near Beauly, Inverness District', Proc Soc Antiq Scot, Vol 124, pp 129-39. p 137.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Sir John Sinclair (ed.). 1791-9. The statistical account of Scotland, drawn up from the communications of the ministers of the different parishes. Vol. 13, 525.
- --- Text/Report: RCAHMS. 1979. The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland. The archaeological sites and monuments of North-east Inverness, Inverness District, Highland Region. . 14, No. 80.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Name Book (County). Object Name Books of the Ordnance Survey. Book No. 49, 25-6.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 5116 4174 (6m by 6m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Civil Parish||KILTARLITY AND CONVINTH|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/12747 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.