MHG42157 - Isle of Moy

Summary

No summary available.

Type and Period (1)

  • WALLED GARDEN (Undated)

Protected Status

Full Description

NH73SE 2 7760 3425.

(NH 7760 3425) Castle (NR) (rems of)
OS 1:10,000 map, (1975)

The OSA describes the remains of a house containing four firerooms, where the Lairds of Mackintosh resided in times of trouble, at the S end of the Isle of Moy. An inscription above the gate indicated that it was built in 1665 by Lachlan, the 20th Laird of Mackintosh. The remains of a street, the whole length of the island with the foundations of houses on each side, were also clearly visible.
A very recent investigation has shown that the gate and inscription have vanished, but the foundations and ruined walls of a rectangular house may be seen (at NH 7760 3425). The S gable still stands 9ft high; the walls, of well-built mortared rubble masonry average 3ft in thickness. Much debris surrounds the ruins, and the inner apartments cannot at present be delineated. The internal dimensions are 52 1/2ft N-S and 15 1/2ft E-W; the thick walls at ground level suggest two storeys at least. However, this building has no castellated features, no defences, and was obviously domestic in style. It stands at the SW corner of an enlosure, evidently a walled garden, measuring about 116ft N-S by some 61ft E-W; only the foundations of the dry-stone walls remain. It may be conjectured that this building was similar to other laird's hall-houses of the period.
Immediately S of the house, and outside the enclosure wall is the ruin of a small dry-stone building, about 20ft by 15ft. Its purpose is not clear.
There are little traces of the "street" and "foundations" noted in the OSA. The houses, very likely of stone and turf walls with thatched roofs, have evidently been removed by landscaping.
OSA 1793; E A Meldrum 1972.

This building, a laird's house, not a castle, is as described by Meldrum. The small dry-stone building mentioned by him is attached to its S gable. Nothing is visible of the village. (The Mackintosh of Moy requests that the name "Castle" be removed, and the building left undescribed)
Surveyed at 1:2500. (See also NH73NE 1)
Visited by OS (A A)27 September 1972.


Untitled Source (Image/Photograph(s)/Aerial Photograph). SHG4761.


Untitled Source (Image/Photograph(s)/Aerial Photograph). SHG4785.


Sir John Sinclair (ed.), 1791-9, The statistical account of Scotland, drawn up from the communications of the ministers of the different parishes, Vol. 8, 508 (Text/Publication/Volume). SHG2606.


Meldrum, E A, 1972, 'Loch Moy and its islands', 19-21 (Text/Publication/Article). SHG3162.

Sources/Archives (4)

Map

Location

Grid reference Centred NH 7759 3425 (50m by 50m) (Buffered by site type)
Map sheet NH73SE
Civil Parish MOY AND DALAROSSIE
Geographical Area INVERNESS

Finds (0)

Related Monuments/Buildings (1)

Related Investigations/Events (0)

External Links (3)

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.