MHG42183 - Kippering House Store and Shop, Shore Street, Thurso
Mid C19 store incorporating later shop. Part of larger Kippering House which also includes a fish smoking kiln, fish house and yard.
Type and Period (2)
- STOREHOUSE (19th Century - 1825 AD to 1875 AD)
- SHOP (Second World War - 1940 AD to 1940 AD (post))
Part of the Listed Building complex, associated with the kippering indsutry at Shore Street/Wilson's Lane.
2-storey rectangular rubble store at right angles to fish house. Modern narrow 3-bay shop inserted in ground floor flanked by original 8-pane windows in outer bays, ground and 1st floor. Central 1st floor gable loft door with hoist projecting above. <1>
The store, a free-standing building east of the fish house, has been converted for housing (now no. 11 Shore Street). <2>
- --- SHG2306 Text/Publication/Volume: Hay and Stell, G D and G P. 1986. Monuments of industry. 26-7.
- <1> SHG24041 Dataset: Historic Scotland. Information Supplementary to the Statutory List (This information has no legal significance). Digital. HB Number 42026.
- <2> SHG24976 Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Dagg, C. 09/2010. Kippering Kiln, Shore Street, Thurso: Standard Building Survey. Unaffiliated. Digital. p.4.
|Grid reference||Centred ND 1195 6864 (14m by 10m)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (4)
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/LB42026 (Online designation description (Historic Environment Scotland))
- http://www.buildingsatrisk.org.uk/BAR/detail.aspx?sctID=1898 (Buildings at Risk register entry)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/254049 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/8491 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.