MHG4220 - Dibidil, Rhum
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- SETTLEMENT (Post Medieval - 1560 AD to 1900 AD)
- None recorded
NM39SE 2 3930 9274
Two heavily robbed buildings are situated midway between Dibidil bothy and the old sheepfold to the NNW; both measure about 6.6m by 3.2m over wall-footings 1.3m thick. The buildings probably form at least a part of the pre-clearance settlement of Dibidil, although the maps of Langlands and Thomson depict that settlement on the N side of Dibidil River, where no remains are now visible.
RCAHMS 1983, visited May 1983
One unroofed and two roofed buildings are depicted on the 1st edition of the OS 6-inch map (Argyllshire, Islands of Rum, Sanday etc., 1879, sheet lxvii). One roofed building, which is annotated as Dibidil Bothy, and one unroofed building are shown on the current edition of the OS 1:10000 map (1975).
Information from RCAHMS (SAH) 6 December 1996
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Langlands, G and Sons. 1801. Map of Argyllshire.
- --- Text/Report: RCAHMS. 1983. The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland. The archaeological sites and monuments of Rhum, Lochaber District, Highland Region. . 9, No.22.
- --- Image/Map: Thomson, J. 1824. Skye Island etc. Part of Inverness-shire.
|Grid reference||Centred NM 3930 9274 (76m by 81m)|
|Civil Parish||SMALL ISLES|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/21958 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.