MHG42217 - St. Donan's Chapel, Courthill
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- FINDSPOT (Undated)
- None recorded
Chapel (NR) (site of) OS 1:10,000 map, (1971)
'Wester Ross Monumental Inscriptions', pre 1855
Monumental inscription survey completed by Alastair G. Beattie & Margaret H. Beattie. The survey may not include inscription info after 1855 and each inscription transcribed does not give the full details that appear on the stones, abbreviations used. Some ommissions and inacuraciesmay be encountered. First published 1987, reprinted 1991, 1996 & 1997, with corrections.
J Aitken : 20/12/02
A possible 'Christening Cup' has been recorded at this location. It lies beneath a pillar of thin stone as described above. Other possibilities - flower arrangement holder, base for wooden cross, if this is a christening cup why is it not in the church?.
Info from Steve Callaghan.
See assoc. docs. File.
J Aitken : 21/02/01
"Seipeil Donnain" or St Donan's Chapel stood in burying-ground at Courthill.
W J Watson 1904.
The turf-covered foundation of W half of this chapel survives with interior occupies by graves. The inner face of wall can be seen intermittently giving a width of 3.5m. N wall can be traces for a length of 7m and S wall for 4m. E half appears to have been destroyed to make room for modern graves. The dedication is not known locally.
Some 5m S of chapel stands a tapering pillar 1.2m high by 0.2m square with a small latin cross inscribed on its S face. Alongside lies an oval stone 0.35m by 0.25m by 0.1m thick, which bears a cup-like hollow 0.12m in diameter and 0.06m deep, possibly a socket stone. Graveyard has been extended and is still in use.
Surveyed at 1:2500. Visited by OS (A A) 22 May 1974.
- --- Image/Photograph(s): Tapering pillar and possible christening cup in graveyard (St. Donan's Chapel).. Colour Print : Pillar and possibe Christening Cup.. .
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Beattie, A G & Beattie, M H (eds.). 1997. Pre-1855 gravestone inscriptions in Wester Ross : a summary of and index to, pre-1855 gravestone inscriptions found in burial grounds in the parishes of Kincardine, Lochbroom, Gairloch, Applecross, Lochcarron, Lochalsh, Kintail and Glenshiel. 2nd. Paper (Original).
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Watson, W J. 1904. Place names of Ross and Cromarty. 193.
|Grid reference||Centred NG 8303 4057 (6m by 6m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
- CROSS (Undated)
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/11920 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.