MHG42258 - St. Martin's Chapel and Burial Ground, Ulbster
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- MAUSOLEUM (Undated)
J Aitken : 09/12/02
ND34SW 28 3356 4185 to 335 418.
(ND 3356 4185) Mausoleum (NAT) on site of St Martin's Chapel (NR) OS 1:10,000 map, (1976)
Although RCAHMS (1911) confirms that mausoleum, bearing date '1700', occupies site of St Martin's Chapel, both Oliphant (Macfarlane 1906-8) and Thomson (NSA 1845) maintain that mausoleum is converted remains of chapel.
The Ulbster Stone (ND16NW 13), a cross slab with symbols, originally stood in a corner of churchyard. It is now in Thurso Museum (ND16NW 69.2)
RCAHMS 1911; W Macfarlane 1906-8; NSA (written by C Thomson - 1841) 1845; J Stuart 1856.
The mausoleum is a 6.7m square building, harled and showing signs of recent repair. A weather vane on the top bears the date '1700'. Some of the stones in the building appear to be of very old date and may have come from the chapel. Otherwise, there are no extant remains of the chapel. The burial ground around the mausoleum is still in use.
C E Batey 1981.
There are no indications that the stones of the older chapel are incorporated in the newer building.
C E Batey 1981.
The Mausoleum was visited and photographed by K Hawthorne and N Brockie in early March 2014. The building was described as in an extremely poor condition and in need of attention, the graveyard wall was noted as partly collapsed. A pile of human bones was exposed inside on one of the window cills. <1>
George Watson, Caithness Chapel Sites (Text/Publication/Volume). SHG3470.
NSA, 1845, The new statistical account of Scotland by the ministers of the respective parishes under the superintendence of a committee of the society for the benefit of the sons and daughters of the clergy, Vol. 15, (Caithness), 160 (Text/Publication/Volume). SHG2597.
Stuart, J, 1856, Sculptured stones of Scotland, 14; pl. 40 (Text/Publication/Monograph). SHG350.
Mitchell, Sir A and Clark, J T (eds.), 1906-8, Geographical collections relating to Scotland, Vol. 1, 160 (Text/Publication/Volume). SHG2441.
RCAHMS, 1911, The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments and Constructions of Scotland. Third report and inventory of monuments and constructions in the county of Caithness, 194, No. 596 (Text/Report). SHG2664.
Batey, C E, 1981, Caithness coastal survey 1981: interim report, Wic 204 (Text/Report/Fieldwork Report). SHG1959.
Brockie, N, 2014, Photographs and information on Ulbster Mausoleum and Sibster Mains (Image/Photograph(s)). SHG26528.
- --- Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Batey, C E. 1981. Caithness coastal survey 1981: interim report. University of Durham, Department of Archaeology. . Wic 204.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Mitchell, Sir A and Clark, J T (eds.). 1906-8. Geographical collections relating to Scotland. Vol. 1, 160.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: NSA. 1845. The new statistical account of Scotland by the ministers of the respective parishes under the superintendence of a committee of the society for the benefit of the sons and daughters of the clergy. Vol. 15, (Caithness), 160.
- --- Image/Photograph(s): Brockie, N. 2014. Photographs and information on Ulbster Mausoleum and Sibster Mains. Colour digital. No. Digital.
- --- Text/Report: RCAHMS. 1911. The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments and Constructions of Scotland. Third report and inventory of monuments and constructions in the county of Caithness. . 194, No. 596.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: George Watson. Caithness Chapel Sites.
- --- Text/Publication/Monograph: Stuart, J. 1856. Sculptured stones of Scotland. 1. 14; pl. 40.
|Grid reference||Centred ND 3356 4185 (10m by 10m)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (3)
- http://data.historic-scotland.gov.uk/pls/htmldb/f?p=2200:15:0::::BUILDING:14066 (View listed building information on Historic Scotland's website (old hyperlink))
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/LB14066 (Online designation description (Historic Environment Scotland))
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/9031 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.