MHG42261 - Kilfinnan Burial Ground & Mcdonnell Mausoleum
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- CEMETERY (Undated)
NN29NE 1 2787 9575.
(NH 2787 9575) Graveyard (NAT) Mausoleum (NAT)
OS 6"map, Inverness-shire, 2nd ed., (1904)
'Lochaber and Skye Monumental Inscriptions', pre 1855
Monumental inscription survey completed by Alastair G Beattie & Margaret H Beattie . The survey may not include inscription information after 1855 and each inscription transcribed does not give the full details that appear on the stones, abbreviations used. Some ommissions and inacuracies may be encountered. Published 1993.
J Aitken : 20/12/02
"A place of burial near the farm-house of Kilfinnan. Interments still take place here; it is believed to be about 250 years old. There was never a church in or near it. The mausoleum which stands in the centre is the property of the McDonells of Glengarry." (The name 'Kilfinnan' suggests that there was a church associated with the area.)
Name Book 1871.
This graveyard, known locally as Kilfinnan, is still in use, situated approx. 150.0m ENE of the farm Kilfinnan at NN 2787 9575, and contains a mausoleum, now roofless. One of the gravestones within the mausoleum is dated 1699. There is no evidence or local knowledge of a church here. Visited by OS (N K B) 21 April 1964.
Kilfinnan is for Cill Fhionain - Finan's Church - a dedication to Finan Lobur, who lived in the late 6th century.
W J Watson 1926.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Edited by Alistair G Beattie and Margaret H Beattie. 1990. Lochaber and Skye Monumental Inscriptions, pre 1855. 1st.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Watson, W J. 1926. The history of the Celtic place-names of Scotland: being the Rhind lectures on archaeology (expanded) delivered in 1916. 286, 338.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Name Book (County). Object Name Books of the Ordnance Survey. Book No. 39, 127.
|Grid reference||Centred NN 2786 9573 (200m by 200m) (Buffered by site type)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (2)
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/LB6833 (Online designation description (Historic Environment Scotland))
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/23807 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.