MHG42385 - Hilton of Cadboll Chapel

Summary

No summary available.

Type and Period (1)

  • HOLY WELL (Undated)

Protected Status

Full Description

Earthworks in GAM, with shed with new stone outwith this. Although rabbit fenced they are now within and causing damage to earthworks. The scrapes on the ewks supposed to represent the chapel building seem to be turning out a lot of shell waste. The more extensive scrapes close to the outer earthworks show about 15cm of top soil onto sand. These scrapes are turning out bone, some of which may be human - HAW 11/2003

NH87NE 6 8731 7687.
Chapel (NR) (Remains of) OS 6"map, Ross-shire, 2nd ed., (1907)

At Hilton of Cadboll, a chapel dedicated to Virgin 'Our Lady's Chapel' is mentioned 1610 (Watson 1904). Within an earthwork enclosure traces of a chapel structure are clearly visible in form of a small rectangular walled building. The direction is due E-W, some 30 athwart its surrounding earthwork. It was from this site that Cadboll Stone (NH87NE 7) was removed (Davidson 1948).
In association with chapel was a well called 'Oure Lady-Well' situated near angle of Kail-yard dyke (Watson 1904).
W J Watson 1904; J M Davidson 1948; Reg Magni Sig Reg Scot 1984.

Turf-covered remains of this chapel measure 12m E-W by 6.5m. No entrance is evident. Attached to W gable is a semi-circular enclosure which probably housed "Cadboll Stone" before it was removed. The chapel stands within a sub-rectangular enclosure bounded by a ruinous turf-covered wall, which has at one time been extended to NE and SE. This has presumably been burial ground, but there are no signs of headstones. A broken font lies in burial ground immediately N of chapel. There is no trace of well.
Revised at 1:2500. Visited by OS (I S S) 5 September 1972.

Easter Ross Local Plan, July 1992: P15/2.54. POLICY - The Council will safeguard Ancient Mons & Archyl. Sites in so far as this is compatible with its aim to achieve a sound employment base for the local popln. RECOMMENDATION - A survey of historical graveyards should be undertaken by local and civic groups with the assistance from the Regional Archaeologist.
J Aitken : 06/06/01.

Sources/Archives (11)

Map

Location

Grid reference Centred NH 8730 7686 (4m by 4m) (2 map features)
Map sheet NH87NE
Geographical Area ROSS AND CROMARTY
Civil Parish FEARN

Finds (0)

Related Monuments/Buildings (1)

Related Investigations/Events (1)

External Links (2)

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.