MHG42539 - Ledbeg River
No summary available.
Type and Period (2)
- FIELD BOUNDARY (Post Medieval - 1560 AD to 1900 AD)
- HEAD DYKE (Post Medieval - 1560 AD to 1900 AD)
- None recorded
J Home 1774-5.
NC 2590 1420: On E bank of the Ledbeg River are two building footings, 10m by 4m and 4m by 3m, and remains of small adjacent enclosure; to NW a complex of ruinous walls and banks extend over hillside and flood-plain, at the latter enclosing strip cultivation. Abandoned 18th/19th century.
Visited by OS (JM) 14 August 1980.
An enclosure or field is depicted on the 1st edition of the OS 6-inch map (Sutherland 1878, sheet lxxxii). Three unroofed buildings and part of a field boundary are shown on the current edition of the OS 1:10,560 map (1966).
Information from RCAHMS (SAH) 19 September 1995
Visited by the Assynt's Hidden Lives project in December 2009. An earth and stone dyke encloses an area of improved pasture 155m by 115m, aligned E-W. The bank is 0.75m wide and 0.5m high with many truncated areas and no sign of an entrance. Within the enclosure is evidence of rig and furrow at the east end running NNW/SSE, approximately 6m in width.North of the enclosure is a series of earth and stone, curvilinear dykes separating the land. One of the dykes is much stonier than the others and runs N/S down the hillside: this equates to the head-dyke. <1>
|Grid reference||Centred NC 2579 1410 (30m by 30m) (Buffered by site type)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Investigations/Events (1)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/89580 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.