MHG4256 - Earth Fortifications, Achnacarry


No summary available.

Type and Period (1)


Protected Status

  • None recorded

Full Description

The name Achnacarry is derived from the Gaelic meaning " a field of the weir" and is mentioned in 1665 when the MacIntoshes and the Camerons spent two days on the banks of the River Arkaig throwing up embankments in preparation for a decisive battle. A peaceful settlement on the lands was, however, obtained at the last moment, and Glen Loy and Loch Arkaig came lawfully into the hands of the Camerons, thus ending the feud which had lasted for about 360 years.
D B MacCulloch 1938.

Nothing of significance was noted during fieldwork in this area.
Visited by OS (A S P) 12 July 1961.

No change.
Visited by OS (N K B) 6 May 1970.

Sources/Archives (1)



Grid reference Centred NN 1699 8700 (10m by 10m) (2 map features)
Map sheet NN18NE
Civil Parish KILMALLIE
Geographical Area LOCHABER

Finds (0)

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Investigations/Events (0)

External Links (1)

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.