MHG426 - Site of Croft or Mill, Brough
Site of a post medieval-modern croft or mill.
Type and Period (2)
- CROFT (Post Medieval - 1560 AD to 1900 AD)
- (Alternate Type) MILL (Post Medieval - 1560 AD to 1900 AD)
- None recorded
The remains of a rectangular structure, 6.4m NE-SW by 5m with a wall 0.7m in average thickness, with traces of a possible dam, 9.6 by 3.7m and channels on the SW side. The walls are greatly reduced with extensive rubble spreads, particularly in the dam. Possibly a post-medieval to modern croft or mill.
C E Batey 1982
- --- Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Batey, C E. 1984. Caithness Coastal Survey 1980-82: Dunnet Head to Ousdale. University of Durham, Department of Archaeology. 30/01/1984. Digital (scanned as PDF). LAT 221.
- --- Text/Report: Batey, C E. 1982. Caithness coastal survey 1982: interim reports 1980-2. . Lat 221.
|Grid reference||Centred ND 3075 3898 (60m by 60m) (Buffered by site type)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/8950 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.