MHG4260 - Achnacarry House
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- COUNTRY HOUSE (Post Medieval - 1560 AD to 1900 AD)
The building was listed at Category B in 1971.
Owner: Cameron of Locheil
Architect: James Gillespie Graham
National Library - History of the Camerons by A. Mackenzie 1884
Reference from NMRS Architecture Catalogue slip;
NMRS Fairlie Mss Sir J. Stirling Maxwell 41 - Lochiel trying to enlist Fairlies' help after fire at Achnacarry 1940's; 'Not a great work of art but a decent comfortable house of about 1840 - well worth keeping'.
Achanacarry House and policies are situated on the S bank of the River Arkaig between Loch Lochy and Loch Arkaig. The House was requisitoned in 1940 for use as the headquarters for Commando training (see MHG62195). <1>
- --- SHG1628 Text/Publication/Article: Forman, S. 1963. 'The Camerons of Lochiel, at home in Achnacarry', Scot Fld Vol. 110 April 1963, p.33-7. Scot Fld. 33-7. 33-7.
- --- SHG2206 Text/Publication/Volume: Forman, S. 1967. Scottish country houses and castles.
- --- SHG2526 Text/Publication/Volume: Mitchell, J. 1971. Reminiscences of my life in the Highlands.
- --- SHG2843 Text/Publication/Volume: Swan, J. 1837. Swan's views of the lakes of Scotland.
- <1> SHG26493 Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Fraser, L. & Peteranna, M.. 2014. Achnacarry Commando Camp, Achnacarry, Spean bridge: Archaeological Evaluation: Final Report. Ross & Cromarty Archaeological Services (RoCAS). Digital.
|Grid reference||Centred NN 1766 8796 (49m by 25m)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (2)
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/LB7096 (Online designation description (Historic Environment Scotland))
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/23739 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.