MHG4267 - Carn Phail burial ground
A burial ground site at Carn Phail, near Banavie
Type and Period (1)
- CEMETERY (Post Medieval - 1560 AD to 1900 AD)
- None recorded
NN18SW 1 1483 8128.
(NN 1483 8128) Carn Phail (NAT) (Burial Place)
OS 6"map, Inverness-shire, 2nd ed., (1904)
'Lochaber and Skye Monumental Inscriptions', pre 1855
Monumental inscription survey completed by Alastair G Beattie & Margaret H Beattie . The survey may not include inscription information after 1855 and each inscription transcribed does not give the full details that appear on the stones, abbreviations used. Some ommissions and inacuracies may be encountered. Published 1993.
J Aitken : 20/12/02
This burial place occupies a low knoll which is enclosed at its base by an old field bank.
According to Mr R M Ogilvie, of Errocht House, the burial ground is still used for descendants of those already interred there, the last interment being in 1951.
Visited by OS (A S P) 12 July 1961.
Visited by OS (N K B) 6 May 1970.
Martin Briscoe has uploaded images of this site to the Highland HER Flickr group. The images are also linked directly to this record, but follow the link to the Flickr group (at the bottom of this record) to see further information and comments. <1>
The Carn Phail graveyard started being used after the McKinnon burial ground at Moy became full. In 1927 the relics of the Bunloy burial ground (see MHG4264) were placed at Carn Phail. <2>
- <1> Image/Photograph(s): Briscoe, J M. 2008-11. Information and photographs of various sites submitted by Martin Briscoe. Colour. Yes. Digital. via Flickr.
- <2> Text/Publication/Volume: Edited by Alistair G Beattie and Margaret H Beattie. 1990. Lochaber and Skye Monumental Inscriptions, pre 1855. 1st.
|Grid reference||Centred NN 1481 8128 (46m by 32m) (Buffered by site type)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (2)
- http://www.flickr.com/groups/her/pool/tags/MHG4267 (View images of this site in the Highland HER Flickr group)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/23747 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.