MHG4270 - EBA Bronze Flat Axehead and Slag - Leanachan Forest
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- FINDSPOT (Bronze Age - 2400 BC to 551 BC)
- None recorded
An Early Bronze Age flat axe (smaller than the halberd - MHG4180) was found in 1951, also in the Leanachan Forest. It measures 3" at its broadest part. It was lent by the finder, Archibald Cameron, Leanachan, Spean Bridge, to the West Highland Museum, Fort William.
E Macgregor 1960; J M Coles 1971
A flat bronze axe 5" long. The findspot was indicated by Mr A Cameron (8 Glenmallie Terrace, Caol, Fort William) at NN 2309 7960. It was found in the peat whilst planting a tree. Cameron also stated that several heaps of iron slag were noted in the area at that time, principally to the W of the axe find but these cannot now be located in the dense undergrowth.
E of the findspot at NN 2319 7963 is an isolated flat-topped boulder measuring 2.0m in diameter by 1.0m high, bearing on its top surface an oval depression resembling a foot-print, 30 cms x 15 cms x 3 cms deep.
Visited by OS (JM) 9 September 1974.
(Flat bronze axe of Dunnottar type). Single find. Flat axe, smooth surface, green patina; length 130mm, butt 30mm, cutting edge 70mm, weight 350gms. Fort William Museum (L. 109).
P K Schmdt and C B Burgess 1981.
The axehead is on display at West Highland Museum. WHM L109. <1>
- --- Text/Publication/Article: Coles, J M. 1971. 'Scottish Early Bronze Age metalwork', Proc Soc Antiq Scot Vol. 101 1968-9, p.1-110. Proc Soc Antiq Scot. 1-110. 82.
- --- Collection/Project Archive: Archaeology for Communities in the Highlands (ARCH). 08/2011. Digital site gazetteer and archive for ARCH Community Timeline Project: Invergarry. Yes. Site 7.
- --- Text/Publication/Article: Schmidt and Burgess, P K and C B. 1981. 'The axes of Scotland and Northern England', Prahistorische Bronzefunde Vol. 9. Prahistorische Bronzefunde. 32, no. 55.
- --- Text/Publication/Article: Macgregor, E. 1960. 'Fort William', Discovery and Excavation in Scotland 1960, p.28. Discovery and Excavation in Scotland. 28. 28.
- <1> Text/Record Form/Project Recording Form: 2019. Finds Collection at West Highland Museum. WHM L109.
|Grid reference||Centred NN 2308 7960 (4m by 4m) (Buffered by site type)|
- AXEHEAD (Bronze Age - 2400 BC to 551 BC)
- SLAG (Undated)
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/23786 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.