MHG42876 - Strone Rungie
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- BURIAL CAIRN (Undated)
- None recorded
No change since report of 27 May 1976.
Visited by OS (J B)J) 2 April 1976.
The E end of the area is covered with grass covered mounds which appear to be only sand-dunes. No evidence of 'cairns' was noted.
Visited by OS (W D J) 27 May 1960.
Centred; NC 981 114 Site of the Conflict Of Strone Rungie (NR) (between the men of Sutherland and Caithness).
OS 6" map, Sutherland, 2nd ed., (1909)
On the shore at Strone-Rungie, between Culgower and West Garty, a number of cairns were exposed under wind-shifted sand about 1762, some of which, together with bones, were still to be seen about 1840. There is a tradition that a battle took place hereabouts, said by some (NSA 1845; Mackay 1894) to have been between the natives and the Norse invaders; and by others (OSA 1793; ONB 1871) between the Sutherland and Caithness men.
In the construction of the railway in 1870 near the headland, Sron Rubha na Gaoithe (Stron-Rungie), two skeletons were found lying side by side, with flag stones at head and feet, indicating them to be those of very tall men,the skulls long and finely shaped and bones long and massive, the teeth perfect.
OSA 1793; NSA 1845; Name Book 1871; J Mackay 1894.
Nothing visible during field survey.
Name Book (County), Object Name Books of the Ordnance Survey, Book No. 32, 14 (Text/Publication/Volume). SHG3364.
Sir John Sinclair (ed.), 1791-9, The statistical account of Scotland, drawn up from the communications of the ministers of the different parishes, Vol. 6, 320 (Text/Publication/Volume). SHG2606.
NSA, 1845, The new statistical account of Scotland by the ministers of the respective parishes under the superintendence of a committee of the society for the benefit of the sons and daughters of the clergy, Vol. 15, Sutherland, 201 (Text/Publication/Volume). SHG2597.
Mackay, J, 1894, 'Sutherland place names', Trans Gaelic Soc Inverness Vol. 18 1891-2, p.183-208, 325-40, 327 (Text/Publication/Article). SHG1593.
- --- Text/Publication/Article: Mackay, J. 1894. 'Sutherland place names', Trans Gaelic Soc Inverness Vol. 18 1891-2, p.183-208, 325-40. Trans Gaelic Soc Inverness. 183-208, 325-40. 327.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: NSA. 1845. The new statistical account of Scotland by the ministers of the respective parishes under the superintendence of a committee of the society for the benefit of the sons and daughters of the clergy. Vol. 15, Sutherland, 201.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Sir John Sinclair (ed.). 1791-9. The statistical account of Scotland, drawn up from the communications of the ministers of the different parishes. Vol. 6, 320.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Name Book (County). Object Name Books of the Ordnance Survey. Book No. 32, 14.
|Grid reference||Centred NC 9810 1140 (16m by 16m) (Buffered by site type)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/7089 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.