MHG42932 - Fish processing complex (Steven and Co), Harbour Quay, Wick
Two early 19th-century storehouses with associated curing yards that were amalgamated some time before 1906.
Type and Period (1)
- FISH PROCESSING FACTORY (19th Century - 1801 AD to 1900 AD)
Date of Listing 05/02/2002
See Assoc. Docs. For listed building report.
J Aitken: 06/09/04
This listed complex comprises two storehouses, built c.1815, and a two storey wall surrounding an associated curing yard. The buildings display the best preserved elevation of a typical Pulteneytown storehouse/curing yard, however the interior curing yard has now been covered over with corrugated iron roofing to form a haulage depot. The buildings A full description of the buildings may be found in the listed building report (see linked web page). <1>
Study of historic maps reveals that the complex has developed substantially over time, starting life as two distinct storehouses each with a curing yard to the rear enclosed by buildings. The north-west corner of the complex was also a separate unit occupied by an L-shaped stone building with attached outbuilding. <2> By 1906 the complex had been amalgamated into a single yard surrounded by buildings on all sides. <3>
- --- Interactive Resource/Online Database: Historic Environment Scotland. Buildings at Risk Register. 5370.
- <1> Dataset: Historic Scotland. Information Supplementary to the Statutory List (This information has no legal significance). Digital. HB 48404.
- <2> Image/Map: Ordnance Survey. 1872. Town Plan of Wick. Digital.
- <3> Image/Map: Ordnance Survey. 1906. Ordnance Survey 2nd edition 25 inch map: Caithness. Digital.
|Grid reference||Centred ND 36612 50754 (61m by 47m) (Centred)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (4)
- http://canmore.rcahms.gov.uk/en/site/9199/details/wick+harbour+quay+storehouse+and+curing+yard/ (View information held by RCAHMS on Canmore website)
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/LB48404 (Online designation description (Historic Environment Scotland))
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/9199/wick-harbour-quay-storehouse-and-curing-yard (Link to online HES Canmore record)
- https://www.buildingsatrisk.org.uk/details/927079 (Link to online Buildings at Risk Register site entry)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.